sensational singer D’banj revealed his thoughts in an interview with Olisa on The Truth. However, if you think you have heard it all, then you are wrong, as the part 2 of the interview is explosive!
The singer revealed why Mo’Hits Records split, and how fellow artist, DR Sid caused the split, among many other issues, and also made other explosive revelations in the full video.
Here are highlights of the 2nd part of the interview he had with Olisa Adibua:
1. D’Banj said that Don Jazzy told him that whenever he hears his (D’Banj’s) voice on the radio he always changes the station. That statement, D’banj said, was very hurtful. It hurt him so badly that he left his house and sought refuge in a hotel and then moved on to South Africa.
2. He never expected ‘Oliver Twist’ to be such a huge hit and was in South Africa when it blew up in London and he had to rush over there. He believes the song’s sudden success was God’s way of taking him away from all the drama back home in Nigeria.
3. The deal with Kanye West was not completed at this stage. However Kanye was so impressed with the song that he agreed to make an appearance in the video. As Kanye is an ‘action man’, as D’Banj calls him, they shot the video straight away while still in London.
4. D’Banj knows that everyone wants him and Don Jazzy to work together again, and thinks there is a possibility of that happening, if the price is right. He bumped into Don Jazzy in America and they discussed the possibility of a reunion; a business reunion. However, Don Jazzy told him that it would have to be for the right money for that to ever happen.
5. ‘A friend in need is a burglar in the future’ was D’banj’s response to Olisa’s question on whether the duo would get back to being friends – you can read into that what you wish!
6. In response to questions about his interview in support of President Goodluck Jonathan in 2011, D’Banj vehemently denied suggestions that he had been paid for the interview. He stated that he had himself requested the interview, and that he felt that it was the right thing for him to do as a man and a citizen of Nigeria. He admitted that he had been paid, but for his work as a musician. He felt that the backlash he received at that time was unfortunate, as he was put through “heat, fire and hell”. He would not be tied down to answering whether he would do the same again this time round, as he is “unavailable” right now and travels a lot.
7. The conversation between D’Banj and Olisa became very heated when Olisa started questioning D’Banj on the state of his career since ‘Oliver Twist’, and it seemed that a ‘raw nerve’ had been touched.
8. He strongly denied allegations that he did not write ‘Top of the World’ and said it was a big hit which he really loves. He questioned Olisa on who determines what makes a big hit anyway, and if his show is The Lie not The Truth.
9. D’Banj insisted that he had had great success since leaving Mo’Hits. He won awards, travelled the world, had the most downloaded song in 2013 and reached the point where he wanted to expand and do something new. He made clear that that just because he has not been spending all his time in Nigeria, it did not mean that he has not been successful.
10. He denied that his new song ‘Feeling the Nigga’ was written by Akon, and that he had made a cameo appearance in it. He said that Akon is in the remix and that they are both his songs. D’Banj became very irate at Olisa’s insinuations and threatened to walk out of the interview if the presenter did not admit that the song was his.
11. Olisa asked what happened with D’Banj’s Koko mobile phone, and why it has not been seen on the market, but he refused to go into this topic in any depth. He said that the phone had sold out, and hinted at a deal with Apple which he could not talk much about due to contractual limitations. He also has a deal with Beat’s by Dre and the headphones will be released soon (hopefully by Easter) in Africa.
12. Olisa asked D’Banj about the various rumours, allegations and court actions against him, claiming that he has unpaid debts among other problems. D’Banj said that he has been advised by lawyers not to speak about this in detail, but made it very clear that he does not owe anybody any money.
He said financially, the past two years have been some of his best years, despite Olisa trying to allege that he has not been successful during this period.
13. He dismissed the people that have left him and no longer want to work with him, and said that the people that left were not meant to be there in the first place.
He revealed that he had recently had a friend/business associate arrested because he found out that one of his investments was mismanaged to the cost of around $2m. The person had gone behind his back and committed fraud, but he said the police were now dealing with the matter. He advised young people who are going into business to be very careful with documents, and make sure that all papers are always properly signed.
14. He refused to answer any questions about women or his personal relationships, as it had got him in too much trouble in the past, and he also refused to give a clear-cut answer as to whether he had a relationship with Genevieve. You can watch the video here.
It will be recalled that just recently the singer was said to have gone bankrupt. He was also reported to have been dragged to court over dud cheques and bad debt