Uganda secured an Africa Cup of Nations tournament place for the first time since 1978 and Burkina Faso also qualified from Group D after a dramatic climax Sunday.
Burkina Faso scored nine minutes into stoppage time in Ouagadougou to edge Botswana 2-1 and top the standings on the head-to-head rule after a match in which three players were red-carded.
Uganda defeated the Comoros 1-0 before a capacity 45,000 Kampala crowd to finish second and clinch one of the two places reserved for the best runners-up.
Burkina Faso and Uganda finished with 13 points each in the six-round mini-league, Botswana collected six and the Comoros three.
After 38 years littered with near misses to qualify for the biennial African football showpiece, some Ugandan players raised their arms and others sank to their knees as the final whistle sounded.
Dominant against a limited Comoran team, Uganda took the lead on 35 minutes through Belgium-based teenage midfielder Farouk Miya.
He had a shot parried by outstanding goalkeeper Ali Ahamada in a one-one-one situation, but got a second chance from the rebound and fired into the net from close range.
A tension-easing second goal eluded the home team, however, as they remained on top during the second half at the Mandela National Stadium.
Burkina Faso and Uganda join Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Mali, Morocco, Senegal, Zimbabwe and hosts Gabon as qualifiers for the 2017 Cup of Nations.
The remaining three places will be filled later Sunday with Benin, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Liberia, Togo and Tunisia the contenders.
In matches that had no impact on qualification, Congo beat Guinea-Bissau 1-0 in Brazzaville and Zambia and Kenya drew 1-1 in Ndola in Group E and Malawi beat Swaziland 1-0 in Blantyre in Group L.
More from my site
- In Uganda Soldier kills 4 women, 3 children at barracks
- Africa Cup of Nations winners and losers
- AFCON 2017: Elephants get N1.9b boost to retain trophy
- Asamoah out of Ghana squad
- AFCON 2017: Rohr to work as TV pundit
- Cameroon 2016: Falcons thrash Kenya, face S’Africa in semis
- Mahrez crowned African Player of the Year
- South Africa suspend coach Mashaba after win over Senegal
- FLYING EAGLES CAMP LATEST: Osimhen vows to prove class
- OUR CONCERNS DIDN’T GO DOWN WELL WITH THE NIGERIAN FOOTBALL AUTHORITY… VINCENT ENYEAMA
- Choupo-Moting pulls out of Cameroon’s 2017 AFCON squad
- Nigeria Will Never Miss AFCON Again- Super Eagles’s Player Echiejile Vows
- Olympics: Brazil thrash Honduras to reach football final
- Football agents bribe Nigerian coaches to invite players
- Eagles make big leap in FIFA rankings
- Unsettled allowances: We never knew Falcons will win AWCON, says FG
- Former Super Eagles Coach Stephen Keshi Confirmed Dead This Morning
- Nigerians in S’Africa hail U-23 team
- Rio 2016 World champions USA knocked out of women’s football
- Falcons aim to confirm superiority over Cameroon
- We will throw everything at Falcons – Kenya
- Nelson Mandela Asked me to marry his daughter- Kelvin Prince Boateng
- Asisat Oshoala Nigerian football star wins first trophy with Arsenal Ladies
- Nigeria Rises to 64th in Latest FIFA Ranking
- Iwobi, Iheanacho score as Nigeria triumph
- Copa America Centenario Argentina 4 Venezuela 1: Magical Messi leads charge
- I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS FOR ME…KANU NWANKWO
- Take Mikel Obi and Ighalo to the Olympics? I can’t decide that right now- Samson Siasia
- Monster’ Neymar leads Brazil to Germany rematch
- AFCON QUALIFIERS- Eagles Coach Rohr Listed 23 players For Tanzania Clash
- Iheanacho, Moses can replace Okocha, Kanu – Taribo
- 350 players for Asoju Oba t’tennis Cup
- Football Legend, Kanu Nwankwo Gives Patients a Pleasant Surprise as He Visits Hospital
- Barcelona pledge to revamp Brazilian side Chapecoense
- What happened to Brazil’s 1970 World Cup-winning team
- Mikel, Musa, Iheanacho make 30-man shortlist for African Player of the…
- Desire Oparanozie Battered During AWCON Match
- Rohr, Ugbade express fears over Algeria coaching problems
- Iheanacho lifts Nigeria over Tanzania
- Yusuf has no contract with NFF – Report
- Nigeria’s Senior Women National Team Were Handed 10,000 Naira Each For Winning Afcon Ticket
- Mikel Obi’s Superior Talent Earns him Captainship in New Club
- Africa Cup of Nations qualifying results
- U-20 Women’s World Cup: Nigeria trash Canada 3-1
- Copa America Centenario Mexico v Chile: Copa America title holders vying for SF
- Wawrinka stuns Djokovic to clinch US Open
- Sepp Blatter faces new FIFA probe
- German club rename stadium after late fan
- ESPN strikes deal with EA to broadcast ‘FIFA’ eSports tournaments
- Olympics: Inspired Nigeria confident of stopping Germany
- Euro 2016 Match preview: Portugal v Wales
- FIFA U-20 World Cup: Japan humiliates Falconets 6-0
- Champions League: Wenger eyes top spot
- Niger Tornadoes ready for new league season
- Godwin Obaje Joins Ifeanyi Uba FC, Becomes Highest Paid Player In NPFL
- Serena crashes as Pliskova, Kerber set-up US Open final duel
- Nigeria Sports Award Asisat Oshoala, Odion Ighalo make nominations’ list
- Falconets not W’Cup favourites –Mbachu
- Real Madrid reach Club World Cup final
- Africa’s Richest Football Players. See Who Earns The Most Money
- India is next big transfer powerhouse – Arsene Wenger
- NFF fires Super Falcon coach Etim Okon, appoints Danjuma in acting capacity
- Messi makes scoring return for Argentina
- Amodu Shuaibu
- Gerrard returns to Liverpool as academy coach
- 2018 WC qualifier: Super Eagles arrive Ndola, eye three points
- Omeruo, Echiejile should be dropped against Algeria – Elaho
- Injury knocks Sneijder out of Netherlands/France clash
- Lassana Diarra demands €6m from FIFA
- Nigeria U-23 NFF, Sports Ministry settle salary dispute after strike actions