Uganda secured an Africa Cup of Nations tournament place for the first time since 1978 and Burkina Faso also qualified from Group D after a dramatic climax Sunday.
Burkina Faso scored nine minutes into stoppage time in Ouagadougou to edge Botswana 2-1 and top the standings on the head-to-head rule after a match in which three players were red-carded.
Uganda defeated the Comoros 1-0 before a capacity 45,000 Kampala crowd to finish second and clinch one of the two places reserved for the best runners-up.
Burkina Faso and Uganda finished with 13 points each in the six-round mini-league, Botswana collected six and the Comoros three.
After 38 years littered with near misses to qualify for the biennial African football showpiece, some Ugandan players raised their arms and others sank to their knees as the final whistle sounded.
Dominant against a limited Comoran team, Uganda took the lead on 35 minutes through Belgium-based teenage midfielder Farouk Miya.
He had a shot parried by outstanding goalkeeper Ali Ahamada in a one-one-one situation, but got a second chance from the rebound and fired into the net from close range.
A tension-easing second goal eluded the home team, however, as they remained on top during the second half at the Mandela National Stadium.
Burkina Faso and Uganda join Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Mali, Morocco, Senegal, Zimbabwe and hosts Gabon as qualifiers for the 2017 Cup of Nations.
The remaining three places will be filled later Sunday with Benin, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Liberia, Togo and Tunisia the contenders.
In matches that had no impact on qualification, Congo beat Guinea-Bissau 1-0 in Brazzaville and Zambia and Kenya drew 1-1 in Ndola in Group E and Malawi beat Swaziland 1-0 in Blantyre in Group L.
More from my site
- In Uganda Soldier kills 4 women, 3 children at barracks
- Africa Cup of Nations winners and losers
- FLYING EAGLES CAMP LATEST: Osimhen vows to prove class
- OUR CONCERNS DIDN’T GO DOWN WELL WITH THE NIGERIAN FOOTBALL AUTHORITY… VINCENT ENYEAMA
- Olympics: Brazil thrash Honduras to reach football final
- Rio 2016 World champions USA knocked out of women’s football
- Nigerians in S’Africa hail U-23 team
- Former Super Eagles Coach Stephen Keshi Confirmed Dead This Morning
- Asisat Oshoala Nigerian football star wins first trophy with Arsenal Ladies
- Nigeria Rises to 64th in Latest FIFA Ranking
- Copa America Centenario Argentina 4 Venezuela 1: Magical Messi leads charge
- Iwobi, Iheanacho score as Nigeria triumph
- Monster’ Neymar leads Brazil to Germany rematch
- Take Mikel Obi and Ighalo to the Olympics? I can’t decide that right now- Samson Siasia
- I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS FOR ME…KANU NWANKWO
- AFCON QUALIFIERS- Eagles Coach Rohr Listed 23 players For Tanzania Clash
- What happened to Brazil’s 1970 World Cup-winning team
- Football Legend, Kanu Nwankwo Gives Patients a Pleasant Surprise as He Visits Hospital
- Mikel, Musa, Iheanacho make 30-man shortlist for African Player of the…
- Desire Oparanozie Battered During AWCON Match
- Rohr, Ugbade express fears over Algeria coaching problems
- Iheanacho lifts Nigeria over Tanzania
- Sepp Blatter faces new FIFA probe
- Nigeria’s Senior Women National Team Were Handed 10,000 Naira Each For Winning Afcon Ticket
- Africa Cup of Nations qualifying results
- Yusuf has no contract with NFF – Report
- Copa America Centenario Mexico v Chile: Copa America title holders vying for SF
- Wawrinka stuns Djokovic to clinch US Open
- Olympics: Inspired Nigeria confident of stopping Germany
- Euro 2016 Match preview: Portugal v Wales
- German club rename stadium after late fan
- Serena crashes as Pliskova, Kerber set-up US Open final duel
- Champions League: Wenger eyes top spot
- Nigeria Sports Award Asisat Oshoala, Odion Ighalo make nominations’ list
- 2018 WC qualifier: Super Eagles arrive Ndola, eye three points
- Injury knocks Sneijder out of Netherlands/France clash
- Messi makes scoring return for Argentina
- Amodu Shuaibu
- NFF fires Super Falcon coach Etim Okon, appoints Danjuma in acting capacity
- Omeruo, Echiejile should be dropped against Algeria – Elaho
- Africa’s Richest Football Players. See Who Earns The Most Money
- Nigeria’s Selfish Rulers- Azuka Onwuka
- Lassana Diarra demands €6m from FIFA
- Dele Alli signs new six-year contract at Tottenham
- Nigeria qualifies after losing 2-0 to Colombia in the Rio 2016 Olympics
- Campbell joins Sporting on loan from Arsenal
- Nigeria U-23 NFF, Sports Ministry settle salary dispute after strike actions
- Osunwa breaks 30-year Arab goals record
- Nigeria’s Oduduru Finishes 2nd Behind Hussain Bolt in Men’s 200m Heat-Rio Olympics
- Super Eagles Will Beat Zambia says Mikel John Obi
- Footballer Playing In Saudi Arabia Made To Cut ‘Anti-Islamic’ Hairstyle During Match
- Nigeria not owing ex-internationals – Okonkwo, Adesina
- Nigeria defeat Zambia 2-1 in World Cup qualifier
- AFCON Qualifier: Rohr invites Mikel, 22 others for Tanzania
- West Ham FC Seals Deal With FC Ifeanyi Ubah in Nigeria
- KIDNAPPERS RELEASE WIFE OF SUPER EAGLES PLAYER, FEGOR OGUDE
- Didier Drogba to release Autobiography in November
- RIO 2016-Sweden Beats Brazil on Penalties tryouts to Advance to Women’s Soccer Final
- Messi New coach Bauza plans to woo striker back for Argentina
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang United to lose out on Gabon international if Van Gaal remains as coach
- In Tanzania Authorities orders drought-hit herders to leave national parks
- Kenyan Coach Expelled from Rio Olympics
- Messi Messi will not reverse Argentina retirement – Maradona
- Barca fans defy UEFA with Catalan flag protest
- NFF: No Plans To Beg Enyeama To Return
- Barca academy lines up plans for Nigerian kids
- FIFA president, Infantino, promises clean 2026 World Cup bid
- Argentina Vs Honduras Messi shifts attention to Copa America
- Copa America Centenario
- Copa America Centenario