Mr Tunde Olatunji, a member of the Osun House of Assembly, has called on the Federal Government to initiate policies that would promote locally produced goods in the country.
Olatunji, who is the House Committee Chairman on Commerce, Cooperatives and Youth Empowerment, made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Monday in Osogbo.
According to him, it is only a massive investment in the production of made-in-Nigeria goods that can grow the country’s economy and bring it out of recession.
He said with the fall in crude oil prices, there was need for the government to diversify the economy through the promotion of locally produced items.
“Our foreign reserve as of today is less than $300 billion to a population of over 170 million.
“We need to invest massively in locally produced goods, especially in the area of agriculture for us as a nation to come out from this recession,” he said.
The lawmaker added that promoting locally produced goods would also help the government and the private sector in creating jobs for youths in the country.
He, however, said that it was regrettable that though the country was blessed with abundant natural resources, it was poor because of its over reliance on crude oil and foreign goods.
“As a nation, we have to cut down on our taste for foreign goods because any nation that depends on foreign goods rather than producing its own cannot move forward,’’ he said.
More from my site
- Economic recession, opportunity to get things right – Utomi
- Nigeria already getting out of recession –Adeosun
- Probe Babangida, Obasanjo, others, Sani tells Buhari
- Make agric attractive to graduates, experts tell FG
- Recession: Operators uncomfortable as FG eyes N5.8tn pension fund
- Buhari is destroying Nigeria – Fayose
- Buhari met he met The Economy In Meltdown, Difficult Decisions Were made- Osinbajo Says
- In Osun ‘We’re broke,’ lawmakers lament cash crunch
- Strong economy’ll attract investment from Nigerians abroad — Onalo
- Osinbajo seeks private sector’s support to revamp economy
- ‘Importation of substandard goods part of corruption’
- N300m mansion for Oshiomhole, deputy
- N’Assembly invites Buhari to address legislature on economy
- FG will not revoke power sector contracts, says Fashola
- Senate to probe Aregbesola, others over bailout
- PDP – Buhari clueless about Recession
- Aregbesola Governor says Nigeria needs prayers to overcome financial crisis
- How Nigeria can bring back Dunlop, others – Shonekan
- Politics has destroyed Ekiti – Afe Babalola
- CBN offers N1.9bn loans to 12,405 farmers
- Nigeria loses N11bn daily as oil exports suffer
- Avengers claim attack on oil pipelines in Niger Delta
- Nigeria will overcome economic challenges, says Sen. Wamakko
- Recession: Melaye urges Buhari to sack Adeosun, Emefiele, Udoma
- Reps grumble over N350m office equipment
- We are feeling your pains, Buhari tells Nigerians
- Nigeria will remain in recession till 2020 – Agbakoba
- Time to #Occupy NASS
- Nigeria discourages businesses with threats and risks
- Bisi Akande blames recession on military rule
- Niger can feed Nigeria, West Africa with rice
- Ambode Governor visits Aregbesola in Osogbo [PHOTOS]
- Economic crisis: Nigeria will overcome, says Saraki
- Aregbesola EFCC set to probe Osun Governor?
- [BREAKING]: FG may exhume Kano ‘corper’s’ body for autopsy
- Fuel Price Hike FG begs labour to suspend nationwide strike
- APC’s style not helping Nigeria –PDP
- Recession: CAN chairman gives condition for divine intervention
- Lai Mohammed Agriculture is surest way to Nigerian economic prosperity
- Kebbi sacks 17 LG sole administrators
- Govt responsible for Christians’ killings – Osun CAN
- Buhari Should Bring Back ‘War Against Indiscipline’
- National Assembly adjourns sitting over member’s death
- Read today’s newspaper headlines [Friday, July 22, 2016]
- Gov Amosun has wrecked state’s economy says Ogun state
- Ondo people have decided, I am humbled – Akeredolu
- Recession: We’re paying dearly for our mistakes, says Buhari
- Aregbesola’s visit to Fayose sparks row in APC
- Oil exploration: Lagos Assembly seeks protection for host communities
- Productivity level in Nigeria is low – Dairo
- Communication tax: Subscribers, business leaders ready for showdown
- Corp member and first class graduate from LAOTECH dies at Kano NYSC camp drills, was buried today
- Jibrin owns £1.558m in UK bank, NYCN alleges
- Infrastructure deficit: FG demands PPP projects from MDAs
- FG may ban wood export, says environment minister
- $30bn loan: Sanusi hits Buhari’s govt, says FG lacks right policies
- Nigeria is gradually being Islamised — CAN Secretary, Asake
- Nigerians may never enjoy regular power supply unless…
- Decent living in Nigeria’s recessed economy
- Nigeria may not move out of recession in 2017 – MAN
- Niger Delta MEND asks FG to suspend Tompolo’s EFCC ca
- Don’t deploy troops in Niger Delta, Ijaw youths tell FG
- The Shocking Revelation of Actor Davidson Dike!
- Can banks readily cough up NNPC’s $2.12bn?
- Frontpage Read today’s newspaper headlines [Friday, August 5, 2016]
- Recession: Dangote sacks 36 expatriates, 12 Nigerians
- No ballot snatching, gunshots during Edo election – INEC
- Fayose signs bill on grazing prohibition into law
- In Kano Flood renders many homeless, destroys 5,300 houses
- Opposition members won’t make my cabinet – Obaseki