Mr Tunde Olatunji, a member of the Osun House of Assembly, has called on the Federal Government to initiate policies that would promote locally produced goods in the country.
Olatunji, who is the House Committee Chairman on Commerce, Cooperatives and Youth Empowerment, made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Monday in Osogbo.
According to him, it is only a massive investment in the production of made-in-Nigeria goods that can grow the country’s economy and bring it out of recession.
He said with the fall in crude oil prices, there was need for the government to diversify the economy through the promotion of locally produced items.
“Our foreign reserve as of today is less than $300 billion to a population of over 170 million.
“We need to invest massively in locally produced goods, especially in the area of agriculture for us as a nation to come out from this recession,” he said.
The lawmaker added that promoting locally produced goods would also help the government and the private sector in creating jobs for youths in the country.
He, however, said that it was regrettable that though the country was blessed with abundant natural resources, it was poor because of its over reliance on crude oil and foreign goods.
“As a nation, we have to cut down on our taste for foreign goods because any nation that depends on foreign goods rather than producing its own cannot move forward,’’ he said.
More from my site
- Tomato Paste Manufacturers Tackle CBN Over FX Policy
- Liverpool report £19.8m annual loss
- Jawbone is reportedly leaving consumer for clinical wearables which might make product for health care providers
- Real-life ‘Pong’ table is available as a crowdfunding project
- Economic recession, opportunity to get things right – Utomi
- Nigeria already getting out of recession –Adeosun
- Probe Babangida, Obasanjo, others, Sani tells Buhari
- Make agric attractive to graduates, experts tell FG
- Recession: Operators uncomfortable as FG eyes N5.8tn pension fund
- Buhari is destroying Nigeria – Fayose
- Buhari met he met The Economy In Meltdown, Difficult Decisions Were made- Osinbajo Says
- In Osun ‘We’re broke,’ lawmakers lament cash crunch
- Strong economy’ll attract investment from Nigerians abroad — Onalo
- Osinbajo seeks private sector’s support to revamp economy
- ‘Importation of substandard goods part of corruption’
- Nigeria will not collapse – Cleric
- N300m mansion for Oshiomhole, deputy
- N’Assembly invites Buhari to address legislature on economy
- FG will not revoke power sector contracts, says Fashola
- Senate to probe Aregbesola, others over bailout
- FG pays N60m to vulnerable households in Niger
- Aregbesola Governor says Nigeria needs prayers to overcome financial crisis
- PDP – Buhari clueless about Recession
- How Nigeria can bring back Dunlop, others – Shonekan
- Edo To Make Gelegele Seaport A Container Terminal
- CBN offers N1.9bn loans to 12,405 farmers
- Politics has destroyed Ekiti – Afe Babalola
- Nigeria loses N11bn daily as oil exports suffer
- Recession: Melaye urges Buhari to sack Adeosun, Emefiele, Udoma
- Nigeria will overcome economic challenges, says Sen. Wamakko
- Avengers claim attack on oil pipelines in Niger Delta
- We are feeling your pains, Buhari tells Nigerians
- Tinubu Criticizes Buhari’s Economic Policies, Says I Won’t Ignore The Truth
- Reps grumble over N350m office equipment
- See Actress Ijeoma Agu Over joyous About Nigeria’s Recession!
- Nigeria will remain in recession till 2020 – Agbakoba
- Time to #Occupy NASS
- Nigeria discourages businesses with threats and risks
- Bayelsa chief sanctions those calling for GEJ’s second coming
- Bisi Akande blames recession on military rule
- Niger can feed Nigeria, West Africa with rice
- With nuclear energy, Nigeria can have predictable electricity prices for 60 years – Komarov
- Ambode Governor visits Aregbesola in Osogbo [PHOTOS]
- Aregbesola EFCC set to probe Osun Governor?
- FG may exhume corpers’ body for autopsy
- [BREAKING]: FG may exhume Kano ‘corper’s’ body for autopsy
- Economic crisis: Nigeria will overcome, says Saraki
- Fuel Price Hike FG begs labour to suspend nationwide strike
- APC’s style not helping Nigeria –PDP
- FG approves $1.2bn for Kano-Kaduna rail project
- Govt responsible for Christians’ killings – Osun CAN
- Recession: CAN chairman gives condition for divine intervention
- U.S. provides additional N71.5bn to fight poverty in Nigeria
- Lai Mohammed Agriculture is surest way to Nigerian economic prosperity
- NNPC NUPENG warns FG not to scrap oil agency
- How realistic is Buhari’s 2017 budget estimates?
- House of Reps Lawmakers adjourn resumption to mourn late Lagos rep
- Kebbi sacks 17 LG sole administrators
- Buhari Should Bring Back ‘War Against Indiscipline’
- Youths to ministers: Tell Buhari we’re very hungry
- Gov Amosun has wrecked state’s economy says Ogun state
- National Assembly adjourns sitting over member’s death
- Read today’s newspaper headlines [Friday, July 22, 2016]
- We have no choice but to borrow $30bn — Adeosun
- Ondo people have decided, I am humbled – Akeredolu
- INEC sends all directing staff away from Rivers over messy outing, indicts 202 others
- Information ministry to spend N661m on travelling/refreshment
- Corp member and first class graduate from LAOTECH dies at Kano NYSC camp drills, was buried today
- Jibrin owns £1.558m in UK bank, NYCN alleges
- Aregbesola’s visit to Fayose sparks row in APC