Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, said he abandoned the use of bulletproof cars as an act of sympathy with the suffering masses who had no means of self protection from terrorists.
Shettima stated this on Sunday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Maiduguri, Borno State.
He said the action was also aimed at showing that the terrorists had no super-natural powers.
“We have to dare the terrorists; I have bulletproof cars, but I do not use them; I want to be exposed to the elements as the ordinary people do,” Shettima said.
He said the bulletproof cars were only kept for the use of visitors who might be afraid to use ordinary cars.
“We have so many bulletproof cars but we only use them for our guests.
“Sometimes I drive myself round the town to see things for myself,” Shettima said.
He said with the gradual return of peace in the state, his government would unfold a developmental agenda soon.
“By the grace of God, we are poised for a great change. Believe me, in the next couple of months, you will see changes in the fortunes of the people of the state,” Shettima said.
He said the recent successes recorded by the military against Boko Haram terrorists had made the state capital a safe haven for all Nigerians
He said, “Maiduguri is more secure than even Lagos or Abuja.
“There are two million people living in Maiduguri; we celebrated Sallah without any incident.”
He said the government would take advantage of the Boko Haram crisis to ensure better welfare for the people.
“This crisis has accorded us the opportunity to merge small settlements and provide better infrastructure to uplift the living standard of the people.
“This is more especially for those living in remote communities,” Shettima said.
More from my site
- No more ‘free lunch’ in Edo – Obaseki
- Fashola Lagos government deletes details of ex-governor’s spending
- Electricity Supply We will not disconnect owing FG’s MDAs – ANED
- Nigerians back Aisha Buhari, as she slams President
- We are feeling your pains, Buhari tells Nigerians
- Oshiomhole talks too much, people have abandoned him – Igbinedion
- Actress Iyabo Ojo Goes Home with NANS Award
- CAN calls emergency meeting over Zamfara, Kaduna killings
- Govt responsible for Christians’ killings – Osun CAN
- ‘Nigerian leaders won’t have peace until they rescue Chibok girls’
- Senate to probe Aregbesola, others over bailout
- Buhari is destroying Nigeria – Fayose
- Be Patient With Me, Ortom Tells Benue People
- Troops repel Boko Haram attack, kill two commanders
- Another building collapses in Lagos, casualties unknown
- Pharmacists warn medicine vendors against injecting
- GOVERNOR OKOROCHA ALLEGEDLY SHOWERS MAID OF 20 YEARS WITH A LAVISH WEDDING
- Kaduna govt to present 2017 budget in September
- Kaduna govt to present 2017 budget in September
- Flood destroys 300 houses in Yobe
- Adams Oshiomhole Declares His Mission Accomplished
- Ex-Kano Deputy Governor, Abdullahi, dies at 69
- Aregbesola Governor says Nigeria needs prayers to overcome financial crisis
- Ambode Governor promises to run credible and transparent govt
- Ambode Governor says Lagos committed to transforming education sector
- Ambode Supreme Court upholds Governor’s election
- Amaechi “Even under Goodluck we went into recession”
- Minimum wage can’t buy a bag of rice – NLC
- Pay Attention To The Hunger And Suffering Ravaging Nigeria-Ayo Fayose
- Nigeria discourages businesses with threats and risks
- Aregbesola I would have become a fuji singer – Governor says
- Eight Dead,Auto Crash in Jigawa
- Okey Ndibe says- Time to Question Everything in Nigeria
- Niger Delta We might use force to flush out militants – Defence minister says
- Kebbi sacks 17 LG sole administrators
- Chibok Girls release: Ignore Fayose’s criticism, APC tells Buhari
- Amnesty: Cultists surrender arms, ammunition in Rivers
- Doctors beg Ajimobi for salaries
- ‘I want a Nigeria that’s more than Dubai’ says 2face Idibia
- Kano loses two pilgrims in Saudi Arabia
- Jonathan’s govt better than Buhari’s administration
- Gov Amosun has wrecked state’s economy says Ogun state
- Jonathan’s govt better than Buhari’s administration – Mairiga
- Federal Government confirms fresh Polio cases, blames Boko Haram
- Strong economy’ll attract investment from Nigerians abroad — Onalo
- Invest in made-in-Nigeria goods, Osun lawmaker tells FG
- ABIJA- I DON’T HAVE A CAR OR HOUSE OF MY OWN
- Nasarawa herdsmen set up committee over clashes with farmers
- I and others brought Buhari to salvage Nigeria –Obasanjo
- Nigeria is gradually being Islamised — CAN Secretary, Asake
- NASFAT condemns Zamfara killing, says killers must be punished
- I’ve honoured your invitation, wanted ex-gov slams EFCC
- Troops kill two bandits, recover 209 cows, 1,062 goats
- FG floats surveillance task force to tackle miners’ killings, others
- Buhari Appointed 3 Saboteurs as Ministers- APC BOT Member
- Remote Control Furore as 78-yr-old man slits his throat in Kano
- Dieties are Messengers from God-Ooni of Ife
- Apostle Emmanuel Okose aka Soul E shared some prophesy about Nigeria-know them
- Olamide Braggingly Says He will Never Pay Money For Any International Collaboration
- Confusion over strange cross sighted in Nasarawa mosque
- INEC, police colluding with APC to rig Rivers rerun – Wike
- Igbo leaders no longer respect Ojukwu, MASSOB laments
- APC responsible for Nigeria’s woes, says Okorocha
- I was nominated as VP by ‘somebody somewhere’ – Osinbajo
- In Jigawa Government releases N1.16b for road project
- A’rese N7million SUV winnings Has Been Stolen
- ‘God told me to go back to Nollywood’- actress Grace Amah
- Troops kill 27 Boko Haram terrorists in Cameroon
- Prophet Joshua Iginla’s Gift (car) to me, ‘’The Biggest shock of My life’’ – Nollywood Actor, Ayo Emmanuel
- Okezie Ikpeazu Abia Governor expresses satisfaction with new ruling on tax papers