Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, said he abandoned the use of bulletproof cars as an act of sympathy with the suffering masses who had no means of self protection from terrorists.
Shettima stated this on Sunday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Maiduguri, Borno State.
He said the action was also aimed at showing that the terrorists had no super-natural powers.
“We have to dare the terrorists; I have bulletproof cars, but I do not use them; I want to be exposed to the elements as the ordinary people do,” Shettima said.
He said the bulletproof cars were only kept for the use of visitors who might be afraid to use ordinary cars.
“We have so many bulletproof cars but we only use them for our guests.
“Sometimes I drive myself round the town to see things for myself,” Shettima said.
He said with the gradual return of peace in the state, his government would unfold a developmental agenda soon.
“By the grace of God, we are poised for a great change. Believe me, in the next couple of months, you will see changes in the fortunes of the people of the state,” Shettima said.
He said the recent successes recorded by the military against Boko Haram terrorists had made the state capital a safe haven for all Nigerians
He said, “Maiduguri is more secure than even Lagos or Abuja.
“There are two million people living in Maiduguri; we celebrated Sallah without any incident.”
He said the government would take advantage of the Boko Haram crisis to ensure better welfare for the people.
“This crisis has accorded us the opportunity to merge small settlements and provide better infrastructure to uplift the living standard of the people.
“This is more especially for those living in remote communities,” Shettima said.
More from my site
- El-Rufai bans processions, unlawful assembly
- No more ‘free lunch’ in Edo – Obaseki
- Crime along Obajana-Kabba Road worrisome – Security expert
- Boko Haram terrorists on the run – Buhari
- Fashola Lagos government deletes details of ex-governor’s spending
- Electricity Supply We will not disconnect owing FG’s MDAs – ANED
- Nigerians back Aisha Buhari, as she slams President
- We are feeling your pains, Buhari tells Nigerians
- Oshiomhole talks too much, people have abandoned him – Igbinedion
- Petrol hoarders in Sokoto will lose C of O, warns Tambuwal
- Actress Iyabo Ojo Goes Home with NANS Award
- Govt responsible for Christians’ killings – Osun CAN
- CAN calls emergency meeting over Zamfara, Kaduna killings
- ‘Nigerian leaders won’t have peace until they rescue Chibok girls’
- ‘Tinubu will only leave APC if…’
- Senate to probe Aregbesola, others over bailout
- Buhari is destroying Nigeria – Fayose
- FG’s N5,000 Payment Not In Ekiti, Claim Mere Propaganda- Fayose
- Apostle Suleiman Boast Of The Damage That Would Have Been Done If He Was Apprehended By DSS
- Be Patient With Me, Ortom Tells Benue People
- Shekau Is Hiding In A New Location- Buratai
- Another building collapses in Lagos, casualties unknown
- Troops repel Boko Haram attack, kill two commanders
- Where Are The Recovered Looted Funds? 2Face Set To Protest in Nigeria
- GOVERNOR OKOROCHA ALLEGEDLY SHOWERS MAID OF 20 YEARS WITH A LAVISH WEDDING
- Pharmacists warn medicine vendors against injecting
- Unremitted N450bn: FG to prosecute indicted revenue generating agencies’ officials
- Guardian Life magazine- Toke Makinwa and ex-husband
- Adeboye: God used Buhari to punish FRC boss – CAN
- Adams Oshiomhole Declares His Mission Accomplished
- Ex-Kano Deputy Governor, Abdullahi, dies at 69
- Kaduna govt to present 2017 budget in September
- Kaduna govt to present 2017 budget in September
- Flood destroys 300 houses in Yobe
- Don’t leave after voting, Jegede tells voters
- N300m mansion for Oshiomhole, deputy
- Ambode Supreme Court upholds Governor’s election
- Pay Attention To The Hunger And Suffering Ravaging Nigeria-Ayo Fayose
- Aregbesola I would have become a fuji singer – Governor says
- Minimum wage can’t buy a bag of rice – NLC
- Ambode Governor promises to run credible and transparent govt
- Amaechi “Even under Goodluck we went into recession”
- Ambode Governor says Lagos committed to transforming education sector
- Aregbesola Governor says Nigeria needs prayers to overcome financial crisis
- Nigeria discourages businesses with threats and risks
- Eight Dead,Auto Crash in Jigawa
- Niger Delta We might use force to flush out militants – Defence minister says
- Fayose unfit to be PDP governors’ forum chair – Kashamu
- Okey Ndibe says- Time to Question Everything in Nigeria
- ABIJA- I DON’T HAVE A CAR OR HOUSE OF MY OWN
- Kaduna govt to stop use of blackboards in schools – El-Rufa’i
- Amosun pays Daniel’s ex-commissioners, others N1.5bn severance
- Ogun, Ondo communal clash embarrassing – Mimiko
- Minister Of Health To Flag Off Emergency Medical And Nutritional Response Program
- Kebbi sacks 17 LG sole administrators
- Audio allegedly of Wike threatening INEC officials sparks controversy
- Ondo people have decided, I am humbled – Akeredolu
- Amnesty: Cultists surrender arms, ammunition in Rivers
- Chibok Girls release: Ignore Fayose’s criticism, APC tells Buhari
- Doctors beg Ajimobi for salaries
- Community mourns as man, wife, five children crushed by speeding driver is buried
- In Oyo Monarch dies in car-truck collision
- Nigeria’s AU candidate vows to tackle conflicts in Africa
- ‘I want a Nigeria that’s more than Dubai’ says 2face Idibia
- Police warn Shiites against unlawful procession in Kaduna
- Kano loses two pilgrims in Saudi Arabia
- Jonathan’s govt better than Buhari’s administration
- Government won’t support power sector financially, says Fashola
- Gov Amosun has wrecked state’s economy says Ogun state
- Jonathan’s govt better than Buhari’s administration – Mairiga