Travelex, a global foreign exchange dealer, on Friday resumed sale of dollars directly to travellers at N356 to a dollar.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) the firm’s office inside the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos terminal was besieged by hundreds of travellers.
It was gathered that some Bureaux de change operators within the terminal were also selling from N470 to N472 to a dollar to travellers.
Travelex, which recently got the approval of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to sell dollar, however, gave stringent conditions for the transaction.
The requirements include presentation of valid international passport, visa to destination, Biometric Verification Number (BVN) card, airline boarding pass and signed copy of transaction.
The firm also directed that cash would only be handed over to the traveller at the boarding gate after security and immigration checks.
According to the firm, these conditions are to ensure that dollar is sold to only genuine travellers, and discourage racketeering.
Consequently, some of the travellers were unable to buy dollars from Travelex because they could not produce their BVN cards.
One of them, Mr Uche Ikediashi, told NAN that he was hearing about the card for the first time.
“Yesterday I bought dollars from a BDC at N470. Today I was told that Travelex is selling at N356; that is why I came here, but they said I needed to bring my BVN card and I don’t have it,’’ he said.
Another traveller, Mr Samson Uduak, commended the CBN for the initiative which, he said, had created easy access to forex for travellers.
Uduak said: “Buying directly from Travelex is very good but the CBN needs to sensitise Nigerians to go and obtain their BVN cards from their banks.’’ (NAN)
More from my site
- Travelex begins sale of $15,000 to BDCs today
- First Nation shifts flight operations’ resumption
- Man Arrested For Attacking Moving Aircraft At Lagos Airport
- Illegal Immigrants 11 Nigerians deported from Spain
- Aviation unions besiege Aero Contractors over workers’ suspension
- Naira falls in all market segments
- CBN To Doll Out $50,000 To Bureau De Change Operators Weekly
- AMCON Corporation takes over assets of AfriJet Airlines over N10bn debt
- Border Control NIS deports 29 illegal migrants
- Naira plummets to all-time low of 472/dollar
- We are not folding up – FirstNation Airways
- We are not folding up – FirstNation Airways
- In Osun Govt. deploys armoured vehicle to community after robbery attack
- NIS arrests suspected Nigerian contacts of ISIS chief
- Security agencies issue kidnap advisory to senior govt officials … warn them against night trips, road travels, others
- ISIS Leader secretly acquires Nigeria Visa? Buhari orders probe
- Electricity Supply We will not disconnect owing FG’s MDAs – ANED
- Oba Goriola Oseni Iba residents call for more security after release of kidnapped monarch
- Over 20Nigerians arrested for Violations of their visas
- Eid-el-Kabir: Ram sellers lament low patronage in Kaduna
- Panic as Lots of Cash and a Dead Body was Found on a Cargo Plane
- Honest Man UBA security guard returns $10,000 to bank
- AIR FORCE MEN BEAT FAAN OFFICIAL COMATOSE
- Fuel Price ‘Nigerians should prepare for increase,’ Marketers say
- NIS insists on re-screening 2,000 protesting recruits
- Gani Adams ‘We’re ready to help fight Avengers,’ OPC leader tells Buhari
- Nigerian Army 37 soldiers sustain injuries in auto crash in Kano
- See Cathering Equipment Used To Served Local Travellers In Lagos Airport
- Fashion Designer Excretes 44 Wraps Of Cocaine At Lagos Airport(HIS Photo AND VIDEOS WILL SHOCK YOU)
- Getting it right with airport privatisation
- Leadway To Partner Nollywood with Production Package Insurance
- President Buhari’s Daughter Fatima Buhari Weds Former chief executive of federal mortgage bank
- Buhari No alternative to present administration – Lai Mohammed
- In Benue Commissioner explains deployment of police, soldiers in Kastina-Ala
- Zamfara mob kills 8 over alleged blasphemy
- NANS protests against detention of Nigerian students by Turkey
- I WANT TO INVEST IN ‘UGWU’ VEGETABLE—CELEBRATED AIRPORT CLEANER
- Tragic Pandemonium as dead body is washed by ocean in Lekki
- MISS GLOBAL NIGERIA 2015 GRAND SCREENING FOR JULY 24TH
- National Orientation Agency
- JAMB Sets to Stop Sales of Scratch Cards From 2017
- Man Sentenced To 7 Years Imprisonment Over #500,000. Visa Scam
- How to spot a Nigerian on an international flight
- Ambode Governor says Lagos committed to transforming education sector
- NUPENG Union says Kerosene is N150 per litre from NNPC depots
- Fashola ‘Electricity supply being disrupted by militants,’ Minister says
- #SaveMayowa Campaign Not A Fraud
- Photo: Pakistani man smuggled into Nigeria through Cross River State arrested
- CBN testifies against Dokpesi on N2.1bn ONSA’s cash
- Ex-militants beg FG to pay outstanding stipends
- First Bank denies violating FG’s directive on TSA
- CBN offers N1.9bn loans to 12,405 farmers
- Lagos Big Boy Working in Arik Air Caught with N105m Cocaine
- Don Jazzy Girlfriend Found In Another Lover House
- Obama to meet Buhari, shuns Philippines President
- Turkey Arrested 50 Nigerian Students
- Super Eagles Escapes Death at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport
- SOUTH AFRICA NOW ISSUES 5 YEAR VISA TO NIGERIANS
- Synagogue collapse: Coroner indicts T.B. Joshua’s Church, orders prosecution of building contractors
- LAGOS ASSEMBLY HONOURS FAITHFUL AIRPORT CLEANER WHO RETURNED N12M
- My new film will revolutionize African cinema — Kunle Afolayan
- Many Nigerians travel abroad for plastic surgery — Dr. Okoro
- Buhari Why I gave Fashola three ministries – President
- 6 reasons why everyone should live on Lagos Mainland
- Dakuku Peterside NIMASA DG issues stern warning to international oil companies
- Nigeria will lose $25bn to NLNG Act amendment – Omotowa
- Sex Trafficking ‘80 percent of Nigerian women who travelled to Italy in 2016 will become prostitutes,’ UN says
- Buhari and transformational leadership
- Nigeria will remain in recession till 2020 – Agbakoba