Travelex, a global foreign exchange dealer, on Friday resumed sale of dollars directly to travellers at N356 to a dollar.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) the firm’s office inside the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos terminal was besieged by hundreds of travellers.
It was gathered that some Bureaux de change operators within the terminal were also selling from N470 to N472 to a dollar to travellers.
Travelex, which recently got the approval of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to sell dollar, however, gave stringent conditions for the transaction.
The requirements include presentation of valid international passport, visa to destination, Biometric Verification Number (BVN) card, airline boarding pass and signed copy of transaction.
The firm also directed that cash would only be handed over to the traveller at the boarding gate after security and immigration checks.
According to the firm, these conditions are to ensure that dollar is sold to only genuine travellers, and discourage racketeering.
Consequently, some of the travellers were unable to buy dollars from Travelex because they could not produce their BVN cards.
One of them, Mr Uche Ikediashi, told NAN that he was hearing about the card for the first time.
“Yesterday I bought dollars from a BDC at N470. Today I was told that Travelex is selling at N356; that is why I came here, but they said I needed to bring my BVN card and I don’t have it,’’ he said.
Another traveller, Mr Samson Uduak, commended the CBN for the initiative which, he said, had created easy access to forex for travellers.
Uduak said: “Buying directly from Travelex is very good but the CBN needs to sensitise Nigerians to go and obtain their BVN cards from their banks.’’ (NAN)
More from my site
- Travelex begins sale of $15,000 to BDCs today
- First Nation shifts flight operations’ resumption
- Man Arrested For Attacking Moving Aircraft At Lagos Airport
- Illegal Immigrants 11 Nigerians deported from Spain
- Naira reverses loss after dropping to 500/dollar
- Aviation unions besiege Aero Contractors over workers’ suspension
- How We Swallowed 45 Wraps Of Cocaine, Inserted 5 In Anus – Suspects
- Naira falls in all market segments
- AMCON Corporation takes over assets of AfriJet Airlines over N10bn debt
- CBN To Doll Out $50,000 To Bureau De Change Operators Weekly
- Border Control NIS deports 29 illegal migrants
- In Osun Govt. deploys armoured vehicle to community after robbery attack
- Radio journalist kidnapped in Benue
- We are not folding up – FirstNation Airways
- We are not folding up – FirstNation Airways
- Naira plummets to all-time low of 472/dollar
- Postpone your trips to the US if you have no important business there- Abike Dabiri-Erewa counsels Nigerians
- ISIS Leader secretly acquires Nigeria Visa? Buhari orders probe
- NIS arrests suspected Nigerian contacts of ISIS chief
- Why naira appreciated – CBN
- Security agencies issue kidnap advisory to senior govt officials … warn them against night trips, road travels, others
- Oba Goriola Oseni Iba residents call for more security after release of kidnapped monarch
- Electricity Supply We will not disconnect owing FG’s MDAs – ANED
- Panic as Lots of Cash and a Dead Body was Found on a Cargo Plane
- Over 20Nigerians arrested for Violations of their visas
- Over 100,000 visas have been revoked since President Trump signed the order on immigration
- Eid-el-Kabir: Ram sellers lament low patronage in Kaduna
- AIR FORCE MEN BEAT FAAN OFFICIAL COMATOSE
- Creditors to sue FG over Arik’s debts
- Honest Man UBA security guard returns $10,000 to bank
- See Cathering Equipment Used To Served Local Travellers In Lagos Airport
- Fashion Designer Excretes 44 Wraps Of Cocaine At Lagos Airport(HIS Photo AND VIDEOS WILL SHOCK YOU)
- Cathay Pacific sees first annual loss in eight years
- Nigerian Army 37 soldiers sustain injuries in auto crash in Kano
- Gani Adams ‘We’re ready to help fight Avengers,’ OPC leader tells Buhari
- NIS insists on re-screening 2,000 protesting recruits
- Fuel Price ‘Nigerians should prepare for increase,’ Marketers say
- Getting it right with airport privatisation
- Leadway To Partner Nollywood with Production Package Insurance
- Airlines soaring to record profits, says IATA
- Federal judge temporarily suspends the revised travel ban
- Ruggedman Writes to Nigerian Musicians on What to Gain From PMAN
- President Buhari’s Daughter Fatima Buhari Weds Former chief executive of federal mortgage bank
- FG accesses $67m World Bank loan to develop Hadejia Dam
- I WANT TO INVEST IN ‘UGWU’ VEGETABLE—CELEBRATED AIRPORT CLEANER
- Buhari No alternative to present administration – Lai Mohammed
- In Benue Commissioner explains deployment of police, soldiers in Kastina-Ala
- NANS protests against detention of Nigerian students by Turkey
- Zamfara mob kills 8 over alleged blasphemy
- National Orientation Agency
- Tragic Pandemonium as dead body is washed by ocean in Lekki
- MISS GLOBAL NIGERIA 2015 GRAND SCREENING FOR JULY 24TH
- How to spot a Nigerian on an international flight
- Man Sentenced To 7 Years Imprisonment Over #500,000. Visa Scam
- Nigerians With Valid Visas Denied Entry Into USA, Sent Back To Nigeria
- JAMB Sets to Stop Sales of Scratch Cards From 2017
- Fayose paid Ozekhome from his share of Dasuki’s loot – EFCC
- GameStop looks into a potentially serious credit card breach
- Lagos Big Boy Working in Arik Air Caught with N105m Cocaine
- Don Jazzy Girlfriend Found In Another Lover House
- House of Reps Lawmakers adjourn resumption to mourn late Lagos rep
- Power generation drops to 2,662 megawatts
- NUPENG Union says Kerosene is N150 per litre from NNPC depots
- Fashola ‘Electricity supply being disrupted by militants,’ Minister says
- FERMA begins rehabilitation of Third Mainland Bridge
- Ambode Governor says Lagos committed to transforming education sector
- Synagogue collapse: Coroner indicts T.B. Joshua’s Church, orders prosecution of building contractors
- Photo: Pakistani man smuggled into Nigeria through Cross River State arrested
- SOUTH AFRICA NOW ISSUES 5 YEAR VISA TO NIGERIANS