Nigeria opened their 2018 World Cup group-phase qualifying campaign with a 2-1 victory in Zambia on Sunday thanks to goals from English Premier League duo Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho
The 20-year-old strikers scored in the opening half before a capacity 40,000 crowd at Levy Mwanawasa Stadium in central city Ndola that included President Edgar Lungu.
Zambia dominated the second half and veteran striker Collins Mbesuma set up a tense finish by halving the deficit 19 minutes from time.
But an equaliser eluded the Chipolopolo (Copper Bullets), who are seeking a first World Cup appearance while the Super Eagles have already been to the finals five times.
The teams are in Group B — labelled the ‘group of death’ as it contains three 2014 World Cup qualifiers in Algeria, Cameroon and Nigeria.
Algeria host record seven-time African qualifiers Cameroon later on Sunday in Blida, a venue where the North African Desert Foxes are virtually invincible.
Iwobi of Arsenal pounced on a weak headed clearance to slam the ball past goalkeeper Kennedy Mweene from close range on 32 minutes.
Neat one-touch passing set Iheanacho of Manchester City free 10 minutes later and he rounded Mweene before calmly pushing the ball into the net.
A blunder from Nigeria defender Kenneth Omeruo allowed Mbesuma to score by firing past impressive goalkeeper Carl Ikeme from inside the penalty area.
Just a few hours after the Nigerians became the first away winners in the African group phase, Egypt matched the achievement by defeating Congo 2-1 in Brazzaville.
Ferebory Dore beat 43-year-old goalkeeper Essam El Hadary with a far-post header to give the hosts a first half lead.
Mohamed Salah from Italian Serie A outfit Roma headed the equaliser just before half-time, then set up the winner for Abdallah Saied close to the hour mark.
Egypt, whose last of two World Cup appearances was 26 years ago, top Group E with three points, Ghana and Uganda have one each and Congo none.
More from my site
- Rohr, Ugbade express fears over Algeria coaching problems
- Omeruo, Echiejile should be dropped against Algeria – Elaho
- Nigeria defeat Zambia 2-1 in World Cup qualifier
- Eagles make big leap in FIFA rankings
- Nigeria Rises to 64th in Latest FIFA Ranking
- Super Eagles Will Beat Zambia says Mikel John Obi
- AFCON 2017: Rohr to work as TV pundit
- Cameroon 2016: Falcons thrash Kenya, face S’Africa in semis
- 2018 WC qualifier: Super Eagles arrive Ndola, eye three points
- AFCON QUALIFIERS- Eagles Coach Rohr Listed 23 players For Tanzania Clash
- Asisat Oshoala Nigerian football star wins first trophy with Arsenal Ladies
- Southampton hold EPL champions, Leicester City, to goalless draw
- Former Man Utd striker, David Herd, dies at 82
- Chelsea punish Mourinho at Stamford Bridge
- Iheanacho, Moses can replace Okocha, Kanu – Taribo
- Africa Cup of Nations winners and losers
- Leicester cannot retain EPL title – Mahrez
- FLYING EAGLES CAMP LATEST: Osimhen vows to prove class
- Falcons aim to confirm superiority over Cameroon
- We will throw everything at Falcons – Kenya
- Osunwa breaks 30-year Arab goals record
- Mikel, Falcao, Courtois going
- Mikel, Musa, Iheanacho make 30-man shortlist for African Player of the…
- Iheanacho lifts Nigeria over Tanzania
- Nigeria Will Never Miss AFCON Again- Super Eagles’s Player Echiejile Vows
- EPL: Giroud heads Arsenal to 1-0 win over West brom
- English Premier League results
- DirecTV will show soccer in 4K this weekend
- Chelsea need new signings to win EPL – Conte
- EPL: How Costa sent Chelsea top of table
- EPL: Pogba, Ibrahimovic lift Man Utd over Middlesbrough
- Latest English Premier League results
- Mourinho slams Man Utd’s ‘incredible mistakes’
- India is next big transfer powerhouse – Arsene Wenger
- Former Arsenal midfielder, Mathieu Flamini, joins Palace
- Champions League: Wenger eyes top spot
- Mikel Obi’s Superior Talent Earns him Captainship in New Club
- Mahrez crowned African Player of the Year
- Choupo-Moting pulls out of Cameroon’s 2017 AFCON squad
- In Zambia August 11 general election and referendum
- Edgar Lungu Zambian president re-elected in disputed vote
- No player’s worth 100 million, says Verratti
- Guardiola omits Toure from City Champions League squad
- Champions League: Guardiola handed Barca reunion with Man City
- Man Utd get Fenerbahce in Europa League draw
- EFL Cup: West Ham oust Chelsea to reach quarters
- Middlesbrough vs Leicester No Vardy, no party as Boro hold champions
- Man City outcast Hart completes Torino loan move
- Mourinho Rivals are scared of title talk, says coach
- Dele Alli signs new six-year contract at Tottenham
- Uganda qualify for Nations Cup after 38-year wait
- Legendary Player Kanu Nwankwo Advises NFF to Package Alex Iwobi , Kelechi Iheanacho
- Messi back in Argentina squad, Aguero out
- Nigeria’s Senior Women National Team Were Handed 10,000 Naira Each For Winning Afcon Ticket
- All eyes on Manchester as Mourinho, Guardiola lock horns
- Pogba is the Best Midfielder in the World- Mourinho
- Real Madrid reach Club World Cup final
- Arsene Wenger Advises Arsenal not to Depend on Iwobi and bellerin to Win Competition
- ‘Spectacular’ year for Cristiano, says Ronaldo
- Amodu Shuaibu
- Football agents bribe Nigerian coaches to invite players
- Nigeria not owing ex-internationals – Okonkwo, Adesina
- OUR CONCERNS DIDN’T GO DOWN WELL WITH THE NIGERIAN FOOTBALL AUTHORITY… VINCENT ENYEAMA
- South Africa suspend coach Mashaba after win over Senegal
- Nelson Mandela Asked me to marry his daughter- Kelvin Prince Boateng
- Nigeria Sports Award Asisat Oshoala, Odion Ighalo make nominations’ list
- Falconets not W’Cup favourites –Mbachu
- Mahrez crowned 2016 BBC African Footballer
- Man Utd to lure Ozil from Arsenal with £250,000-a-week
- Godwin Obaje Joins Ifeanyi Uba FC, Becomes Highest Paid Player In NPFL