Nigeria opened their 2018 World Cup group-phase qualifying campaign with a 2-1 victory in Zambia on Sunday thanks to goals from English Premier League duo Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho
The 20-year-old strikers scored in the opening half before a capacity 40,000 crowd at Levy Mwanawasa Stadium in central city Ndola that included President Edgar Lungu.
Zambia dominated the second half and veteran striker Collins Mbesuma set up a tense finish by halving the deficit 19 minutes from time.
But an equaliser eluded the Chipolopolo (Copper Bullets), who are seeking a first World Cup appearance while the Super Eagles have already been to the finals five times.
The teams are in Group B — labelled the ‘group of death’ as it contains three 2014 World Cup qualifiers in Algeria, Cameroon and Nigeria.
Algeria host record seven-time African qualifiers Cameroon later on Sunday in Blida, a venue where the North African Desert Foxes are virtually invincible.
Iwobi of Arsenal pounced on a weak headed clearance to slam the ball past goalkeeper Kennedy Mweene from close range on 32 minutes.
Neat one-touch passing set Iheanacho of Manchester City free 10 minutes later and he rounded Mweene before calmly pushing the ball into the net.
A blunder from Nigeria defender Kenneth Omeruo allowed Mbesuma to score by firing past impressive goalkeeper Carl Ikeme from inside the penalty area.
Just a few hours after the Nigerians became the first away winners in the African group phase, Egypt matched the achievement by defeating Congo 2-1 in Brazzaville.
Ferebory Dore beat 43-year-old goalkeeper Essam El Hadary with a far-post header to give the hosts a first half lead.
Mohamed Salah from Italian Serie A outfit Roma headed the equaliser just before half-time, then set up the winner for Abdallah Saied close to the hour mark.
Egypt, whose last of two World Cup appearances was 26 years ago, top Group E with three points, Ghana and Uganda have one each and Congo none.
More from my site
- Rohr, Ugbade express fears over Algeria coaching problems
- Omeruo, Echiejile should be dropped against Algeria – Elaho
- Nigeria defeat Zambia 2-1 in World Cup qualifier
- Nigeria Rises to 64th in Latest FIFA Ranking
- Super Eagles Will Beat Zambia says Mikel John Obi
- 2018 WC qualifier: Super Eagles arrive Ndola, eye three points
- AFCON QUALIFIERS- Eagles Coach Rohr Listed 23 players For Tanzania Clash
- Asisat Oshoala Nigerian football star wins first trophy with Arsenal Ladies
- Southampton hold EPL champions, Leicester City, to goalless draw
- Chelsea punish Mourinho at Stamford Bridge
- Former Man Utd striker, David Herd, dies at 82
- Africa Cup of Nations winners and losers
- FLYING EAGLES CAMP LATEST: Osimhen vows to prove class
- Leicester cannot retain EPL title – Mahrez
- Osunwa breaks 30-year Arab goals record
- Mikel, Falcao, Courtois going
- Mikel, Musa, Iheanacho make 30-man shortlist for African Player of the…
- Mourinho slams Man Utd’s ‘incredible mistakes’
- English Premier League results
- Chelsea need new signings to win EPL – Conte
- Iheanacho lifts Nigeria over Tanzania
- Former Arsenal midfielder, Mathieu Flamini, joins Palace
- Champions League: Wenger eyes top spot
- Man Utd get Fenerbahce in Europa League draw
- EFL Cup: West Ham oust Chelsea to reach quarters
- No player’s worth 100 million, says Verratti
- Man City outcast Hart completes Torino loan move
- Mourinho Rivals are scared of title talk, says coach
- Guardiola omits Toure from City Champions League squad
- Champions League: Guardiola handed Barca reunion with Man City
- Dele Alli signs new six-year contract at Tottenham
- In Zambia August 11 general election and referendum
- Edgar Lungu Zambian president re-elected in disputed vote
- Uganda qualify for Nations Cup after 38-year wait
- Messi back in Argentina squad, Aguero out
- Nigeria’s Senior Women National Team Were Handed 10,000 Naira Each For Winning Afcon Ticket
- Pogba is the Best Midfielder in the World- Mourinho
- All eyes on Manchester as Mourinho, Guardiola lock horns
- Arsene Wenger Advises Arsenal not to Depend on Iwobi and bellerin to Win Competition
- Nigeria not owing ex-internationals – Okonkwo, Adesina
- OUR CONCERNS DIDN’T GO DOWN WELL WITH THE NIGERIAN FOOTBALL AUTHORITY… VINCENT ENYEAMA
- Amodu Shuaibu
- Nigeria Sports Award Asisat Oshoala, Odion Ighalo make nominations’ list
- Campbell joins Sporting on loan from Arsenal
- Mustafi, Perez to join Arsenal, Wenger confirms
- Jack Wilshere Midfielder presses case for England Euro 2016 call
- EPL: How Arsenal got first home win
- Arsenal want Wenger stay, but won’t rush to talks
- I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS FOR ME…KANU NWANKWO
- Jose Mourinho Coach set for United, Van Gaal won’t discuss leaving
- EPL: Mourinho, Conte keep mum over touchline row
- Former Super Eagles Coach Stephen Keshi Confirmed Dead This Morning
- West Ham FC Seals Deal With FC Ifeanyi Ubah in Nigeria
- Nigerians in S’Africa hail U-23 team
- NFF fires Super Falcon coach Etim Okon, appoints Danjuma in acting capacity
- Olympics: Brazil thrash Honduras to reach football final
- Nigeria’s Selfish Rulers- Azuka Onwuka
- EPL: Man City back on top as Saints draw raises doubts
- Dembele at double as Celtic check Man City charge
- Jose Mourinho-i’ll never sell Wayne Rooney, it’ll never go to that point.
- Barca fans defy UEFA with Catalan flag protest
- Messi scores on return in Barca rout, Sevilla top
- Enrique expects Barca to be tested at Gladbach
- EPL: Burnley stun Liverpool
- Mourinho’s United beat Bournemouth 3-1 in opener
- Machester derby: Mourinho plays down Guardiola rivalry
- Mourinho rocked on Europa return as Feyenoord down United
- Life in Manchester bit of a disaster – Mourinho
- Ighalo signs additional five-year-contract to Watford
- Sodje tells Mikel: Fight for your place