The Ebonyi Police Command has confirmed the clash between its officers and soldiers from the Nigerian Army Cantonment, Nkwagu, near Abakaliki, on Saturday evening.
DSP George Okafor, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, confirmed this on Sunday in Abakaliki.
However, Okafor said that the matter had been resolved amicably.
According to him, the clash is unfortunate and efforts have been made by the two agencies to forestall such occurrences in future.
“The matter has been peacefully resolved and we urge the public not to panic over the development but be assured of their safety at all times,” he said.
Okafor, who declined further comments on the issue, also failed to confirm whether police officers involved in the clash sustained injuries.
An eye witness, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the incident occurred at No. 1, Water Works road, Abakaliki.
“Trouble started when a police patrol team on road check requested for the identity cards and vehicle particulars of army officers from the Nkwagu military cantonment.
“The soldiers rode a tinted Toyota Camry car with registration number BWR 886 AE and a black Toyota Jeep with the inscription of ‘Bride’ used to convey a newly wedded couple.
“The soldiers, who were in their uniforms except one personnel, told the police team they were returning from a wedding and felt embarrassed by their request for the documents.
“At this point, one of the police officers stopped the soldiers from passing and the latter angrily fired sporadically into the air,” he said.
According to the witness, who is a security agent, the police officers called the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) on phone and immediately they stormed the scene, one of them slapped a soldier.
“The clash subsequently ensued and the police who had the upper hand, took some of the soldiers to the command’s headquarters while confiscating their rifles.
“The soldiers who escaped from the scene, rushed to the cantonment and on their way, allegedly attacked some policemen near the cantonment and held them hostage,” the security agent told NAN.
The eye witness also noted that one of the police officers held by the soldiers was released and he quickly rushed to the command to report that some officers were being held at the cantonment.
“This development almost affected the peace moves made by both security agencies but the situation eventually normalised following intervention by top echelon of both agencies,” the source added.
The army authorities were yet to react to NAN enquiries or make public their reaction over the development. NAN
More from my site
- IK OGBONNA- BEING HANDSOME HAS NOT HELPED ME
- Gunmen invade Enugu community, kill one
- HIV POSITIVE ROBBER INFECTS WOMEN
- Why we took over Jonathan cousin’s firm –Army
- Army wants ATMs for soldiers in Borno
- In Ibadan Military doctor loses job over sex with colleague’s wife
- Robbers attack Lagos journalists, kill production manager
- Robbers shoot Equatorial Guinea consul, wife
- Wife of local govt Chairmanship candidate for APC candidate kidnapped
- TOPE ALABI, FATHIA BALOGUN, OTHERS GETS CAR GIFTS FROM ABUJA PROPHET
- It was easy to rob Onazi’s father, he lives alone – Suspect
- Kayode Fayemi FG summons 37 mine Officers over diversion of explosives
- The groom who lost his bride in an accident on their wedding night, dies
- Eight Dead,Auto Crash in Jigawa
- President Buhari’s Daughter Fatima Buhari Weds Former chief executive of federal mortgage bank
- Gas explosion kills one in Damaturu
- Man Beats Che@ting Wife To Death After Lover Hiding In The Bedroom Escaped
- Former minister abducted in Kaduna
- NSCDC Army trains 93 operatives on arms proficiency
- In Abuja Sacked Service Chiefs given 6 weeks notice to proceed on retirement
- Chibok girls swap not sign of failure – Army
- Nigeria Police Force Officers accuse leadership of witch-hunting, favouritism over new postings
- Impersonation Fake naval officers arrested in Rivers State
- Politicians, others ignore IG, enjoy police protection
- [Updated] Police kill 10 Shiites in Kano
- PDP accuses APC of unlawful arrests
- Housekeeper who killed employer in Lagos, arrested in Taraba
- I Regret Smoking Igbo; It Made Me leave Church to Steal Cars
- 1.9 million voters to participate in Edo governorship poll
- Amaechi Speaks: Any Police Officer who harass civilians again will be sent on retirement
- Top Nigerian female singer, Weird Mc in a victim of an attack
- Man who crushed LASTMA official’s leg to remain in prison
- Most Hairy Nigerian Woman Becomes A Sensation
- Most Hairy Nigerian Woman Becomes A Sensation
- Nigeria’s Very own Transgender celebrity Attempts Suicide
- Black woman & white teen charged with similar crime. Guess which one is forced into a cavity search?
- Budget padding: ‘Dogara, Jibrin, others guilty’
- Policemen covering Edo poll to pay transport fare
- Kano police lose DPO to accident
- Inter-ethnic Clash 3 dead as Igbo and Hausa battle in Imo State
- Suspect steals from policewoman during interrogation
- Postpone Edo gov election, DSS, Police tell INEC
- Herbal medicine for diabetes kills four
- Gunmen Abduct School Principal and Students in Lagos School
- A Female Victim was Found Electrocuted at Suleja
- Good turned bad Ex-policeman arrested for burglary in Ogun
- Budget padding: Gbajabiamila submits self to police for investigation
- Police chase away Buhari’s ex-bodyguards from APC office
- Police arrest two men with human bones in Ogun
- Aisha Buhari ‘No proof President’s wife travelled to US,’ PDP says
- Los Angeles police release video in fatal police shooting
- Parents protest as police arraign 58 suspected cult members
- Obasanjo, Sheriff teaming up to destroy PDP — Fayose
- Nattering nitwits of the internet, naijaland is worse than trumpland, Go back to school – says wole Soyinka against Nigerians in support of him tearing his green card
- INEC deploys 18, 511 personnel for Edo election
- NIMC prints 1m National e-ID cards
- In Benue Group asks House of Assembly leaders to resign
- Read Why Ruggedman had judged a bride
- Suspects Confess How They Buy 100 Exotic Cars From Robbers, Kidnappers
- Gunmen abduct three children in Benue
- Police recover 19 cars, SUVs from ex-IG Arase
- Gospel Singer, Samuel Nabbed Stealing an SUV At Winners Chapel
- International Media Group Blasts Army For Threats on Salkida Over His Reports on Boko Haram
- Niger Delta ‘We didn’t molest anyone,’ Army on Bayelsa invasion
- Dubai Property “Stop distracting Tukur Buratai” – Legal practitioner tells Nigerians
- No Place to Hide Suspected kidnappers arrested by army in Rivers State
- Troops kill suspected cattle rustler in Katsina
- Nigerian Army ‘We need your prayers,’ Army Commander tells Nigerians
- Michelle Obama’s involvement in Nigeria #BringBackOurGirls — Aisha Wakil
- Troops kill two bandits, recover 209 cows, 1,062 goats