The Ebonyi Police Command has confirmed the clash between its officers and soldiers from the Nigerian Army Cantonment, Nkwagu, near Abakaliki, on Saturday evening.
DSP George Okafor, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, confirmed this on Sunday in Abakaliki.
However, Okafor said that the matter had been resolved amicably.
According to him, the clash is unfortunate and efforts have been made by the two agencies to forestall such occurrences in future.
“The matter has been peacefully resolved and we urge the public not to panic over the development but be assured of their safety at all times,” he said.
Okafor, who declined further comments on the issue, also failed to confirm whether police officers involved in the clash sustained injuries.
An eye witness, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the incident occurred at No. 1, Water Works road, Abakaliki.
“Trouble started when a police patrol team on road check requested for the identity cards and vehicle particulars of army officers from the Nkwagu military cantonment.
“The soldiers rode a tinted Toyota Camry car with registration number BWR 886 AE and a black Toyota Jeep with the inscription of ‘Bride’ used to convey a newly wedded couple.
“The soldiers, who were in their uniforms except one personnel, told the police team they were returning from a wedding and felt embarrassed by their request for the documents.
“At this point, one of the police officers stopped the soldiers from passing and the latter angrily fired sporadically into the air,” he said.
According to the witness, who is a security agent, the police officers called the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) on phone and immediately they stormed the scene, one of them slapped a soldier.
“The clash subsequently ensued and the police who had the upper hand, took some of the soldiers to the command’s headquarters while confiscating their rifles.
“The soldiers who escaped from the scene, rushed to the cantonment and on their way, allegedly attacked some policemen near the cantonment and held them hostage,” the security agent told NAN.
The eye witness also noted that one of the police officers held by the soldiers was released and he quickly rushed to the command to report that some officers were being held at the cantonment.
“This development almost affected the peace moves made by both security agencies but the situation eventually normalised following intervention by top echelon of both agencies,” the source added.
The army authorities were yet to react to NAN enquiries or make public their reaction over the development. NAN
More from my site
- IK OGBONNA- BEING HANDSOME HAS NOT HELPED ME
- Gunmen invade Enugu community, kill one
- HIV POSITIVE ROBBER INFECTS WOMEN
- Why we took over Jonathan cousin’s firm –Army
- In Ibadan Military doctor loses job over sex with colleague’s wife
- Army wants ATMs for soldiers in Borno
- Robbers attack Lagos journalists, kill production manager
- TOPE ALABI, FATHIA BALOGUN, OTHERS GETS CAR GIFTS FROM ABUJA PROPHET
- Housemaid Who Stole Boss’ Car In Lagos Arrested In Benue
- Robbers shoot Equatorial Guinea consul, wife
- Wife of local govt Chairmanship candidate for APC candidate kidnapped
- Community mourns as man, wife, five children crushed by speeding driver is buried
- Ruggedman Writes to Nigerian Musicians on What to Gain From PMAN
- It was easy to rob Onazi’s father, he lives alone – Suspect
- Kayode Fayemi FG summons 37 mine Officers over diversion of explosives
- The groom who lost his bride in an accident on their wedding night, dies
- Gas explosion kills one in Damaturu
- Business Booms In Katsina As President Buhari’s Daughter Fatima Weds
- President Buhari’s Daughter Fatima Buhari Weds Former chief executive of federal mortgage bank
- Eight Dead,Auto Crash in Jigawa
- Man Beats Che@ting Wife To Death After Lover Hiding In The Bedroom Escaped
- A girl shares her experience on ATM card robbery at Fadeyi-“We will rape you if you don’t give us the correct ATM pin”
- Former minister abducted in Kaduna
- Expect Nigeria-assembled Toyota cars this year – Ade-Ojo
- NSCDC Army trains 93 operatives on arms proficiency
- Chibok girls swap not sign of failure – Army
- In Abuja Sacked Service Chiefs given 6 weeks notice to proceed on retirement
- Impersonation Fake naval officers arrested in Rivers State
- [Updated] Police kill 10 Shiites in Kano
- Nigeria Police Force Officers accuse leadership of witch-hunting, favouritism over new postings
- Politicians, others ignore IG, enjoy police protection
- Housekeeper who killed employer in Lagos, arrested in Taraba
- PDP accuses APC of unlawful arrests
- I Regret Smoking Igbo; It Made Me leave Church to Steal Cars
- We only got $200, phones from Basketmouth – Robbery suspects
- 1.9 million voters to participate in Edo governorship poll
- Amaechi Speaks: Any Police Officer who harass civilians again will be sent on retirement
- Top Nigerian female singer, Weird Mc in a victim of an attack
- [BREAKING] Army school commandant found dead inside military formation
- Man who crushed LASTMA official’s leg to remain in prison
- Most Hairy Nigerian Woman Becomes A Sensation
- Nigeria’s Very own Transgender celebrity Attempts Suicide
- Most Hairy Nigerian Woman Becomes A Sensation
- Black woman & white teen charged with similar crime. Guess which one is forced into a cavity search?
- Aisha Buhari ‘No proof President’s wife travelled to US,’ PDP says
- Good turned bad Ex-policeman arrested for burglary in Ogun
- Inter-ethnic Clash 3 dead as Igbo and Hausa battle in Imo State
- Gunmen Abduct School Principal and Students in Lagos School
- Rivers rerun: INEC, police officers face criminal charges
- Budget padding: Gbajabiamila submits self to police for investigation
- Police chase away Buhari’s ex-bodyguards from APC office
- Suspect steals from policewoman during interrogation
- Budget padding: ‘Dogara, Jibrin, others guilty’
- A Police man who died on duty receives up to N10m insurance by Ambode to his family
- Trailer crushes skater to death in Abakaliki
- Postpone Edo gov election, DSS, Police tell INEC
- Herbal medicine for diabetes kills four
- Policemen covering Edo poll to pay transport fare
- Kano police lose DPO to accident
- A Female Victim was Found Electrocuted at Suleja
- Police arrest two men with human bones in Ogun
- Parents protest as police arraign 58 suspected cult members
- Los Angeles police release video in fatal police shooting
- Read Why Ruggedman had judged a bride
- Nattering nitwits of the internet, naijaland is worse than trumpland, Go back to school – says wole Soyinka against Nigerians in support of him tearing his green card
- Obasanjo, Sheriff teaming up to destroy PDP — Fayose
- NIMC prints 1m National e-ID cards
- INEC deploys 18, 511 personnel for Edo election
- Terrible Accident at Adekunle Enroute 3rd Mainland Bridge this Morning (PHOTOS)
- I Dont Like Taking Flight – Shan George