The Ebonyi Police Command has confirmed the clash between its officers and soldiers from the Nigerian Army Cantonment, Nkwagu, near Abakaliki, on Saturday evening.
DSP George Okafor, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, confirmed this on Sunday in Abakaliki.
However, Okafor said that the matter had been resolved amicably.
According to him, the clash is unfortunate and efforts have been made by the two agencies to forestall such occurrences in future.
“The matter has been peacefully resolved and we urge the public not to panic over the development but be assured of their safety at all times,” he said.
Okafor, who declined further comments on the issue, also failed to confirm whether police officers involved in the clash sustained injuries.
An eye witness, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the incident occurred at No. 1, Water Works road, Abakaliki.
“Trouble started when a police patrol team on road check requested for the identity cards and vehicle particulars of army officers from the Nkwagu military cantonment.
“The soldiers rode a tinted Toyota Camry car with registration number BWR 886 AE and a black Toyota Jeep with the inscription of ‘Bride’ used to convey a newly wedded couple.
“The soldiers, who were in their uniforms except one personnel, told the police team they were returning from a wedding and felt embarrassed by their request for the documents.
“At this point, one of the police officers stopped the soldiers from passing and the latter angrily fired sporadically into the air,” he said.
According to the witness, who is a security agent, the police officers called the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) on phone and immediately they stormed the scene, one of them slapped a soldier.
“The clash subsequently ensued and the police who had the upper hand, took some of the soldiers to the command’s headquarters while confiscating their rifles.
“The soldiers who escaped from the scene, rushed to the cantonment and on their way, allegedly attacked some policemen near the cantonment and held them hostage,” the security agent told NAN.
The eye witness also noted that one of the police officers held by the soldiers was released and he quickly rushed to the command to report that some officers were being held at the cantonment.
“This development almost affected the peace moves made by both security agencies but the situation eventually normalised following intervention by top echelon of both agencies,” the source added.
The army authorities were yet to react to NAN enquiries or make public their reaction over the development. NAN
More from my site
- IK OGBONNA- BEING HANDSOME HAS NOT HELPED ME
- Gunmen invade Enugu community, kill one
- HIV POSITIVE ROBBER INFECTS WOMEN
- Army wants ATMs for soldiers in Borno
- Why we took over Jonathan cousin’s firm –Army
- In Ibadan Military doctor loses job over sex with colleague’s wife
- Robbers attack Lagos journalists, kill production manager
- TOPE ALABI, FATHIA BALOGUN, OTHERS GETS CAR GIFTS FROM ABUJA PROPHET
- Robbers shoot Equatorial Guinea consul, wife
- Community mourns as man, wife, five children crushed by speeding driver is buried
- Wife of local govt Chairmanship candidate for APC candidate kidnapped
- It was easy to rob Onazi’s father, he lives alone – Suspect
- The groom who lost his bride in an accident on their wedding night, dies
- Kayode Fayemi FG summons 37 mine Officers over diversion of explosives
- Eight Dead,Auto Crash in Jigawa
- President Buhari’s Daughter Fatima Buhari Weds Former chief executive of federal mortgage bank
- Gas explosion kills one in Damaturu
- Man Beats Che@ting Wife To Death After Lover Hiding In The Bedroom Escaped
- A girl shares her experience on ATM card robbery at Fadeyi-“We will rape you if you don’t give us the correct ATM pin”
- Former minister abducted in Kaduna
- NSCDC Army trains 93 operatives on arms proficiency
- Chibok girls swap not sign of failure – Army
- In Abuja Sacked Service Chiefs given 6 weeks notice to proceed on retirement
- [Updated] Police kill 10 Shiites in Kano
- Politicians, others ignore IG, enjoy police protection
- Nigeria Police Force Officers accuse leadership of witch-hunting, favouritism over new postings
- Impersonation Fake naval officers arrested in Rivers State
- Housekeeper who killed employer in Lagos, arrested in Taraba
- PDP accuses APC of unlawful arrests
- We only got $200, phones from Basketmouth – Robbery suspects
- I Regret Smoking Igbo; It Made Me leave Church to Steal Cars
- 1.9 million voters to participate in Edo governorship poll
- Top Nigerian female singer, Weird Mc in a victim of an attack
- Amaechi Speaks: Any Police Officer who harass civilians again will be sent on retirement
- [BREAKING] Army school commandant found dead inside military formation
- Man who crushed LASTMA official’s leg to remain in prison
- Black woman & white teen charged with similar crime. Guess which one is forced into a cavity search?
- Most Hairy Nigerian Woman Becomes A Sensation
- Nigeria’s Very own Transgender celebrity Attempts Suicide
- Most Hairy Nigerian Woman Becomes A Sensation
- Aisha Buhari ‘No proof President’s wife travelled to US,’ PDP says
- Inter-ethnic Clash 3 dead as Igbo and Hausa battle in Imo State
- A Police man who died on duty receives up to N10m insurance by Ambode to his family
- Good turned bad Ex-policeman arrested for burglary in Ogun
- Trailer crushes skater to death in Abakaliki
- Herbal medicine for diabetes kills four
- Gunmen Abduct School Principal and Students in Lagos School
- Kano police lose DPO to accident
- Budget padding: Gbajabiamila submits self to police for investigation
- A Female Victim was Found Electrocuted at Suleja
- Postpone Edo gov election, DSS, Police tell INEC
- Budget padding: ‘Dogara, Jibrin, others guilty’
- Policemen covering Edo poll to pay transport fare
- Police arrest two men with human bones in Ogun
- Police chase away Buhari’s ex-bodyguards from APC office
- Suspect steals from policewoman during interrogation
- Terrible Accident at Adekunle Enroute 3rd Mainland Bridge this Morning (PHOTOS)
- Parents protest as police arraign 58 suspected cult members
- Los Angeles police release video in fatal police shooting
- Obasanjo, Sheriff teaming up to destroy PDP — Fayose
- Nattering nitwits of the internet, naijaland is worse than trumpland, Go back to school – says wole Soyinka against Nigerians in support of him tearing his green card
- NIMC prints 1m National e-ID cards
- INEC deploys 18, 511 personnel for Edo election
- Read Why Ruggedman had judged a bride
- I Dont Like Taking Flight – Shan George
- Shocking Image Shows Teenage Immigrant Trying To Cross Into Span Desperately
- KIDNAPPERS RELEASE WIFE OF SUPER EAGLES PLAYER, FEGOR OGUDE
- Ladies BEWARE! Female Corper Escapes Being Used for Money Rituals (Must See)
- In Benue Group asks House of Assembly leaders to resign
- Road accident kills two in Ondo, residents protest