A Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday sentenced a 31-year-old tea vendor, Adamu Dungus, to nine-month imprisonment for trafficking in 300 grammes of Tramadol.
Tramadol, a psychotropic substance, is on the government’s prohibition list of drugs.
The convict, who was arraigned by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency for a charge of drug trafficking, had pleaded guilty.
Following his guilty plea, the prosecutor, Mr. Jeremiah Aernan, asked for the review of the facts of the case.
He tendered before the court the statement of the accused to NDLEA, a request for scientific aid form, as well as the bulk of exhibit.
Earlier, the prosecutor had urged the court to sentence the accused based on the evidence and exhibits presented by the prosecution.
Delivering his judgment, Justice Muslim Hassan said “the accused is guilty as charged.”
He sentenced him to nine months in jail which, he said, would start running from the date of his arrest.
The court also ordered the NDLEA to destroy the exhibits.
While reviewing the facts, Aernan told the court that the accused committed the offence on April 10 and that he was arrested at Dangote Refinery and Petrochemicals Company at Ibeju-Lekki in Lagos.
According to him, about 300 grammes of Tramadol was seized from the tea vendor, who was selling the drug.
The offence contravened the provisions of Section 11 (c) of the NDLEA Act, Laws of the Federation 2004. (NAN)
More from my site
- COURT JAILS GHANIAN 17 YEARS FOR MARIJUANA TRADING
- NDLEA arraigns minor for peddling Indian hemp
- Customs intercepts suspected cocaine consignment
- FG plans 20-man panel to review electoral laws
- Justice Ademola speaks, says gratification charges, bogus, trumped-up
- AMAC defies NASS, insists on collecting tenement rate
- Granted bail! Femi Fani-Kayode & his wife, Precious at the Ikoyi Federal High court today
- Manslaughter: Synagogue engineers’ trial resumes
- Appeal Court Reinstates Ikpeazu as Governor of Abia State
- Sheriff Petitions CJN, demands for Port-Harcourt High Court Judge Sacked
- NDLEA AFTER DAVIDO OVER MUSIC VIDEO
- Kidnapping: Ambode orders demolition of shanties around creeks
- NCS Customs arrests drug trafficker carrying Indian Hemp
- Nigeria and the menace of illicit drug trafficking and abuse
- Help save judiciary, PDP tells Buhari, CJN
- Man bags five months jail term for stealing cock
- Lagos appoints DIG Ajao Head Lagos Neighbourhood Safety Corps
- Appeal Court hears Tarfa’s bribery appeal case Jan 19
- I didn’t confirm source of $4m Jonathan’s ex-aide gave me – Witness
- Appeal Court dashes Jegede’s hope, adjourns judgment indefinitely
- Judge withdraws from LG chairman’s murder case
- PDP praises judiciary for upholding Ikpeazu’s election
- Okezie Ikpeazu Abia Governor expresses satisfaction with new ruling on tax papers
- Leave Kaduna or face the law, police warn criminals
- Abductors contact families of Lagos schoolchildren
- Lawyers seek perpetual injunction to stop judges’ arraignment
- Fashion Designer Excretes 44 Wraps Of Cocaine At Lagos Airport(HIS Photo AND VIDEOS WILL SHOCK YOU)
- Four banks named in Katsina SURE-P N5bn cash withdrawal
- Corruption: FG launches major war against senators, Reps
- NDLEA official drowns while chasing drug baron
- NDLEA nabs man with N9.8m fake currency
- BREAKING: Court reinstates use of hijab in Lagos schools
- INEC Inconclusive Elections, Fault of the Group
- HOW 15 YEAR OLD GIRL DIED AFTER TAKING ABORTION DRUGS
- Court to rule in Tompolo’s case against FG Dec 12
- N45.9bn fraud: Tompolo’s co-defendants seek quashing of charges
- Stone Cold Court jails banker for 39 yrs for stealing from deceased customer
- Arrested judges: Lawyer sues Buhari, AGF, DSS others for N50bn
- CNP sues Buhari, Saraki, Dogara over NDDC board
- FG may ban wood export, says environment minister
- Buhari and transformational leadership
- Buhari, also a beneficiary of legal technicalities –Olanipekun
- Corruption: Afenifere asks Buhari’s ministers to resign
- Bleak Sallah as Muslims prioritise school fees over rams
- My ambition not worth anybody’s blood – Obaseki
- Theft 2 men face trial for stealing electricity cable
- Abusive Bus Driver and Husband Beats Wife with Iron Rod
- DSS arrests two Supreme Court Justices – CJN’s aide
- FG moves to reopen N100bn fraud case against Odili
- High Court Rejects Fayose’s Bid To Stop EFCC Probe
- ECOWAS Court adjourns Kanu’s case till November 8
- Man remanded for impersonating Bishop Kukah
- $15m scandal: Patience Jonathan accuses EFCC of hiring mercenaries
- Parents protest as police arraign 58 suspected cult members
- Actress Toyin Aimakhu Files for Divorce After Catching Hubby In The Act
- Buhari, VP, ministers, lawmakers, others earn N9.18bn yearly
- Power generation hits 3,810 megawatts
- In Cross River Assembly passes 26 bills, initiates 22 motions in one year – Speaker
- 2015: Presidency In Panic Over Redeemed Pastor Osinbajo
- Lagos Big Boy Working in Arik Air Caught with N105m Cocaine
- Hausa youths attack Lagos chemist for blasphemy
- PDP and Futility of Compromise- by Femi Fani-Kayode
- Photo: Bags of rice smuggled as corpses in ambulance in Lagos
- NCC convicts 57 for piracy
- Hello President Buhari, listen to the judiciary
- DRUG ABUSE: NIGERIANS ARE COPYING THE WHITE PEOPLE…GRACE AMA FIRES
- NDLEA- Nigeria records highest number of drug related convicts in the World
- NJC to convene emergency meeting over new CJN’s appointment
- Sex Trafficking ‘80 percent of Nigerian women who travelled to Italy in 2016 will become prostitutes,’ UN says
- Pharmacists warn medicine vendors against injecting