A Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday sentenced a 31-year-old tea vendor, Adamu Dungus, to nine-month imprisonment for trafficking in 300 grammes of Tramadol.
Tramadol, a psychotropic substance, is on the government’s prohibition list of drugs.
The convict, who was arraigned by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency for a charge of drug trafficking, had pleaded guilty.
Following his guilty plea, the prosecutor, Mr. Jeremiah Aernan, asked for the review of the facts of the case.
He tendered before the court the statement of the accused to NDLEA, a request for scientific aid form, as well as the bulk of exhibit.
Earlier, the prosecutor had urged the court to sentence the accused based on the evidence and exhibits presented by the prosecution.
Delivering his judgment, Justice Muslim Hassan said “the accused is guilty as charged.”
He sentenced him to nine months in jail which, he said, would start running from the date of his arrest.
The court also ordered the NDLEA to destroy the exhibits.
While reviewing the facts, Aernan told the court that the accused committed the offence on April 10 and that he was arrested at Dangote Refinery and Petrochemicals Company at Ibeju-Lekki in Lagos.
According to him, about 300 grammes of Tramadol was seized from the tea vendor, who was selling the drug.
The offence contravened the provisions of Section 11 (c) of the NDLEA Act, Laws of the Federation 2004. (NAN)
More from my site
- COURT JAILS GHANIAN 17 YEARS FOR MARIJUANA TRADING
- NDLEA arraigns minor for peddling Indian hemp
- Customs intercepts suspected cocaine consignment
- FG plans 20-man panel to review electoral laws
- Justice Ademola speaks, says gratification charges, bogus, trumped-up
- AMAC defies NASS, insists on collecting tenement rate
- Granted bail! Femi Fani-Kayode & his wife, Precious at the Ikoyi Federal High court today
- Court okays suit seeking Amaechi, Onu’s arrest, sacking
- US law enforcement can’t ask companies to turn over foreign data
- Manslaughter: Synagogue engineers’ trial resumes
- Appeal Court Reinstates Ikpeazu as Governor of Abia State
- Sheriff Petitions CJN, demands for Port-Harcourt High Court Judge Sacked
- NDLEA AFTER DAVIDO OVER MUSIC VIDEO
- Judge earns N24m annually, spent N500m in 10 months –AGF
- Apologise to Justice Dimgba, Falana tells FG
- Kidnapping: Ambode orders demolition of shanties around creeks
- NCS Customs arrests drug trafficker carrying Indian Hemp
- Help save judiciary, PDP tells Buhari, CJN
- Nigeria and the menace of illicit drug trafficking and abuse
- Man bags five months jail term for stealing cock
- Lagos appoints DIG Ajao Head Lagos Neighbourhood Safety Corps
- Appeal Court hears Tarfa’s bribery appeal case Jan 19
- I didn’t confirm source of $4m Jonathan’s ex-aide gave me – Witness
- Okezie Ikpeazu Abia Governor expresses satisfaction with new ruling on tax papers
- Leave Kaduna or face the law, police warn criminals
- PDP praises judiciary for upholding Ikpeazu’s election
- Judge withdraws from LG chairman’s murder case
- Appeal Court dashes Jegede’s hope, adjourns judgment indefinitely
- Abductors contact families of Lagos schoolchildren
- Fashion Designer Excretes 44 Wraps Of Cocaine At Lagos Airport(HIS Photo AND VIDEOS WILL SHOCK YOU)
- Jungle justice bill should also catch Buhari
- Four banks named in Katsina SURE-P N5bn cash withdrawal
- Lawyers seek perpetual injunction to stop judges’ arraignment
- Corruption: FG launches major war against senators, Reps
- Tanzanian Model, Wema Sepetu Pleads Not Guilty To Drug Charges
- BREAKING: Court reinstates use of hijab in Lagos schools
- NDLEA official drowns while chasing drug baron
- NDLEA nabs man with N9.8m fake currency
- HOW 15 YEAR OLD GIRL DIED AFTER TAKING ABORTION DRUGS
- Nigerians Need To Know Buhari’s Health Status – Falana
- INEC Inconclusive Elections, Fault of the Group
- El-Rufai bans processions, unlawful assembly
- N45.9bn fraud: Tompolo’s co-defendants seek quashing of charges
- Court to rule in Tompolo’s case against FG Dec 12
- Stone Cold Court jails banker for 39 yrs for stealing from deceased customer
- CNP sues Buhari, Saraki, Dogara over NDDC board
- NJC Dismissed N25m Bribery Petition Against Justice Ademola, Official Says
- Arrested judges: Lawyer sues Buhari, AGF, DSS others for N50bn
- IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu was denied bail by the court due to National security
- FG may ban wood export, says environment minister
- Buhari and transformational leadership
- D’banj In Court Over N100m Law Suit
- Buhari, also a beneficiary of legal technicalities –Olanipekun
- Bleak Sallah as Muslims prioritise school fees over rams
- Corruption: Afenifere asks Buhari’s ministers to resign
- Abusive Bus Driver and Husband Beats Wife with Iron Rod
- Theft 2 men face trial for stealing electricity cable
- My ambition not worth anybody’s blood – Obaseki
- Nigerian drug kingpin nabbed in South Africa
- Pele’s son to serve 13 years in jail for money laundering and drug trafficking
- Kashamu must face drug charges, US court rules
- Actress Toyin Aimakhu Files for Divorce After Catching Hubby In The Act
- Court awards deaf, dumb N4m damages for assault
- High Court Rejects Fayose’s Bid To Stop EFCC Probe
- Court grants ex-Navy chief permission for medical treatment abroad
- EFCC arraigns man for allegedly duping American $.6m
- Parents protest as police arraign 58 suspected cult members
- $15m scandal: Patience Jonathan accuses EFCC of hiring mercenaries
- Man remanded for impersonating Bishop Kukah
- DSS arrests two Supreme Court Justices – CJN’s aide