Angel Di Maria and Jese Rodriguez opened their Ligue 1 scoring accounts this season in French champions Paris Saint Germain’s 2-0 win over Nantes at the Parc des Princes on Saturday.
After a sluggish start under new coach Unai Emery this was PSG’s fourth successive victory and it moved them into second, level on points with leaders Monaco.
Nice, also on 29 points, are in third on goal difference but can go clear with the right result at Saint-Etienne on Sunday.
PSG’s win, whilst not spectacular, will at least have put them in the right frame of mind ahead of next week’s Champions League clash with Arsenal.
But PSG will have to sweat over whether Di Maria will figure in north London as after scoring early on he had to come off in the 25th minute with an apparent thigh problem.
The Argentine winger’s place was taken by Hatem Ben Arfa.
Di Maria’s injury could be worrying news for Emery, who is already without Alphonse Areola, Layvin Kurzawa and Adrien Rabiot.
Nantes, despite their modest 16th place in the table, were posing plenty of problems to their well-heeled hosts.
They could easily have levelled with Guillaume Gillet’s scissor kick in the 24th minute, his acrobatic attempt only denied by Kevin Trapp.
PSG had their German goalkeeper to thank for a quickfire double save to preserve their first-half lead just before the interval.
PSG’s nerves were finally settled in the 90th minute when Javier Pastore was felled in the box with Real Madrid recruit Jese Rodriguez converting the resulting penalty.
Pastore, on as a late substitute for his first appearance after a calf problem since the end of September, ended the game hobbling off with a knee injury.
On Friday, Falcao lashed home seconds after coming on in Monaco’s 3-0 away win at bottom side Lorient.
More from my site
- Copa America Centenario
- Marseille to make Mikel highest-paid player
- Kante better than Makelele – Matic
- EPL: Giroud heads Arsenal to 1-0 win over West brom
- Champions League: Wenger eyes top spot
- MOURINHO TO JOURNALIST – ASK GOOGLE INSTEAD OF MAKING STUPID QUESTION
- EPL: How Costa sent Chelsea top of table
- Mourinho slams Man Utd’s ‘incredible mistakes’
- De Rossi wishes Pjanic well at Juventus
- Champions League: Leverkusen’s Voeller relishing Tottenham clash
- Nice win again without Balotelli
- David Luiz can rank among world’s best – Conte
- Hospitalised Falcao ‘rugby-tackled’, says coach
- Nice not taking a risk signing me, says Balotelli
- Iheanacho saves Man City
- Copa America Centenario Argentina 4 Venezuela 1: Magical Messi leads charge
- Stephen Keshi to be finally laid to rest on July 29th
- Neymar signs new 5-year contract with Barcelona
- EPL: Man City back on top as Saints draw raises doubts
- Jack Wilshere Midfielder presses case for England Euro 2016 call
- Asisat Oshoala Nigerian football star wins first trophy with Arsenal Ladies
- No player’s worth 100 million, says Verratti
- Former Man Utd striker, David Herd, dies at 82
- Arsene Wenger Advises Arsenal not to Depend on Iwobi and bellerin to Win Competition
- Arsenal Midfielder Coquelin Ruled Out For A Month
- Former Arsenal midfielder, Mathieu Flamini, joins Palace
- Iwobi, Iheanacho score as Nigeria triumph
- EPL: How Arsenal got first home win
- English Premier League results
- EPL: Pogba, Ibrahimovic lift Man Utd over Middlesbrough
- Chelsea need new signings to win EPL – Conte
- India is next big transfer powerhouse – Arsene Wenger
- Chelsea punish Mourinho at Stamford Bridge
- Arsenal want Wenger stay, but won’t rush to talks
- Latest English Premier League results
- Club Africaine table N76m for Chisom
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter sprayed with fake dollar bills during press conference
- Mahrez crowned African Player of the Year
- Mourinho rocked on Europa return as Feyenoord down United
- Simeone to stay at Atletico next season
- Latest English Premier League table
- Messi scores on return in Barca rout, Sevilla top
- Premier League: How Watford beat Boro away
- Willian, Costa score in Chelsea’s 2-0 victory over Hull
- English Premier League table (Week 5)
- All eyes on Manchester as Mourinho, Guardiola lock horns
- Latest English Premier League table
- Dele Alli signs new six-year contract at Tottenham
- Man City hold ‘positive’ £100m talks with Barcelona over sensational transfer of Lionel Messi
- Balotelli agent slams Klopp’s treatment of striker
- How Kanye West slept off while shopping
- Tennis: CAS to give Sharapova verdict Tuesday
- Euro 2016 Match preview: Portugal v Wales
- Legendary Player Kanu Nwankwo Advises NFF to Package Alex Iwobi , Kelechi Iheanacho
- Man Utd to lure Ozil from Arsenal with £250,000-a-week
- Cristiano Ronaldo and girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez make first red carpet-see photos
- Cameroon 2016: Falcons thrash Kenya, face S’Africa in semis
- Mustafi, Perez to join Arsenal, Wenger confirms
- Olympics: Inspired Nigeria confident of stopping Germany
- Euro 2016 Euro 2016: Switzerland 1 Poland 1 (aet, 4-5 pens)
- Didier Drogba to release Autobiography in November
- AFCON QUALIFIERS- Eagles Coach Rohr Listed 23 players For Tanzania Clash
- Campbell joins Sporting on loan from Arsenal
- Injury knocks Sneijder out of Netherlands/France clash
- Former Man U coach, Louis van Gaal reveals his retirement plans
- Rio 2016 Olympic Games Rio 2016: Rain leads to tennis postponement at Olympics
- Bolt Rusty runner eases into Olympic buildup with Cayman win
- Euro 2016 Cristiano Ronaldo’s dark night of the soul
- Rio 2016 Olympics Paddy Barnes beaten in boxing, Argilagos wins
- Egyptian Athlete Expelled For Refusing Handshake With Israeli Opponent at RIO