Angel Di Maria and Jese Rodriguez opened their Ligue 1 scoring accounts this season in French champions Paris Saint Germain’s 2-0 win over Nantes at the Parc des Princes on Saturday.
After a sluggish start under new coach Unai Emery this was PSG’s fourth successive victory and it moved them into second, level on points with leaders Monaco.
Nice, also on 29 points, are in third on goal difference but can go clear with the right result at Saint-Etienne on Sunday.
PSG’s win, whilst not spectacular, will at least have put them in the right frame of mind ahead of next week’s Champions League clash with Arsenal.
But PSG will have to sweat over whether Di Maria will figure in north London as after scoring early on he had to come off in the 25th minute with an apparent thigh problem.
The Argentine winger’s place was taken by Hatem Ben Arfa.
Di Maria’s injury could be worrying news for Emery, who is already without Alphonse Areola, Layvin Kurzawa and Adrien Rabiot.
Nantes, despite their modest 16th place in the table, were posing plenty of problems to their well-heeled hosts.
They could easily have levelled with Guillaume Gillet’s scissor kick in the 24th minute, his acrobatic attempt only denied by Kevin Trapp.
PSG had their German goalkeeper to thank for a quickfire double save to preserve their first-half lead just before the interval.
PSG’s nerves were finally settled in the 90th minute when Javier Pastore was felled in the box with Real Madrid recruit Jese Rodriguez converting the resulting penalty.
Pastore, on as a late substitute for his first appearance after a calf problem since the end of September, ended the game hobbling off with a knee injury.
On Friday, Falcao lashed home seconds after coming on in Monaco’s 3-0 away win at bottom side Lorient.
More from my site
- Copa America Centenario
- Kante better than Makelele – Matic
- Champions League: Wenger eyes top spot
- Mourinho slams Man Utd’s ‘incredible mistakes’
- EPL: How Costa sent Chelsea top of table
- MOURINHO TO JOURNALIST – ASK GOOGLE INSTEAD OF MAKING STUPID QUESTION
- De Rossi wishes Pjanic well at Juventus
- Champions League: Leverkusen’s Voeller relishing Tottenham clash
- Nice win again without Balotelli
- Hospitalised Falcao ‘rugby-tackled’, says coach
- David Luiz can rank among world’s best – Conte
- Nice not taking a risk signing me, says Balotelli
- Copa America Centenario Argentina 4 Venezuela 1: Magical Messi leads charge
- Iheanacho saves Man City
- Stephen Keshi to be finally laid to rest on July 29th
- Neymar signs new 5-year contract with Barcelona
- EPL: Man City back on top as Saints draw raises doubts
- Arsenal want Wenger stay, but won’t rush to talks
- Chelsea punish Mourinho at Stamford Bridge
- English Premier League results
- Iwobi, Iheanacho score as Nigeria triumph
- Asisat Oshoala Nigerian football star wins first trophy with Arsenal Ladies
- Jack Wilshere Midfielder presses case for England Euro 2016 call
- Latest English Premier League results
- Arsene Wenger Advises Arsenal not to Depend on Iwobi and bellerin to Win Competition
- Chelsea need new signings to win EPL – Conte
- Former Man Utd striker, David Herd, dies at 82
- EPL: How Arsenal got first home win
- Former Arsenal midfielder, Mathieu Flamini, joins Palace
- No player’s worth 100 million, says Verratti
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter sprayed with fake dollar bills during press conference
- Mourinho rocked on Europa return as Feyenoord down United
- All eyes on Manchester as Mourinho, Guardiola lock horns
- Premier League: How Watford beat Boro away
- Latest English Premier League table
- English Premier League table (Week 5)
- Messi scores on return in Barca rout, Sevilla top
- Latest English Premier League table
- Willian, Costa score in Chelsea’s 2-0 victory over Hull
- Dele Alli signs new six-year contract at Tottenham
- Balotelli agent slams Klopp’s treatment of striker
- How Kanye West slept off while shopping
- Tennis: CAS to give Sharapova verdict Tuesday
- AFCON QUALIFIERS- Eagles Coach Rohr Listed 23 players For Tanzania Clash
- Man Utd to lure Ozil from Arsenal with £250,000-a-week
- Cameroon 2016: Falcons thrash Kenya, face S’Africa in semis
- Olympics: Inspired Nigeria confident of stopping Germany
- Mustafi, Perez to join Arsenal, Wenger confirms
- Campbell joins Sporting on loan from Arsenal
- Euro 2016 Euro 2016: Switzerland 1 Poland 1 (aet, 4-5 pens)
- Euro 2016 Match preview: Portugal v Wales
- Injury knocks Sneijder out of Netherlands/France clash
- Didier Drogba to release Autobiography in November
- Desire Oparanozie Battered During AWCON Match
- Rio 2016 Olympic Games Rio 2016: Rain leads to tennis postponement at Olympics
- Bolt Rusty runner eases into Olympic buildup with Cayman win
- Egyptian Athlete Expelled For Refusing Handshake With Israeli Opponent at RIO
- Rio 2016 Olympics Paddy Barnes beaten in boxing, Argilagos wins
- Euro 2016 Cristiano Ronaldo’s dark night of the soul
- Former NFL Star Player Darren Sharper sentenced to 20 years in jail for raping and drug abuse
- Falconets not W’Cup favourites –Mbachu
- I dreamed being WNBA MVP — Ogwumike
- Rio 2016 Olympic Games Team Nigeria Day 2 Review (Sunday, August 7)
- Yusuf has no contract with NFF – Report
- Rio 2016 ends with spectacular ceremony as Olympic flag goes to Tokyo
- We will throw everything at Falcons – Kenya
- Paralympics: Orji breaks world record, wins Nigeria’s 8th gold
- Keita propels unbeaten RB Leipzig past Bremen
- Omeruo, Echiejile should be dropped against Algeria – Elaho
- 350 players for Asoju Oba t’tennis Cup