How to use home remedies to get rid of heartburn and acid reflux? Acid reflux is commonly known as gastro esophageal reflux disease or GERD. It affects almost 50% of the adult American population. It occurs when the esophagus muscles loosen up and lets some of the stomach acids back into the throat. Acid reflux is frequently accompanied by heartburn, where the patient experiences a painful and burning sensation behind the heart muscles. Vomiting, nausea, headache and weakness are other problem associated with acid reflux. Acid reflux is common among overweight and older people. The fat in the body interferes with the esophagus muscles and causes acid reflux. If you are suffering from heartburn occasionally, then adopting a few lifestyle changes will likely cure the problem. However, if you are suffering from this problem, on a daily basis, then it is a good idea to consult your local physician as this might be a serious problem and can increase your chances of esophagus cancer.
Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux (Home Remedies)
There is plenty of over the counter medicine, which are available to cure heartburn and acid reflux. Most of them are heavy on calcium, which can provide relief from the symptoms easily. They are, however, not free from side effects and consuming them for a prolonged period of time, can lead to serious medical problem. Here are the natural remedies to get rid of heartburn and acid reflux naturally.
1.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Baking soda is highly alkaline in nature and can help to neutralize the acid in the stomach. However, it should be mixed with a few drops of lemon juice, to counter the gas, which gets formed, when baking soda, comes in contact with stomach acid.
- Take a glass of clear distilled water.
- Add half a teaspoon of baking soda in it and stir well, till the soda dissolves.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to the lemon juice and water solution
- Mix the three ingredients well by stirring it.
- Drink the solution.
- Don’t drink the soda solution, without the lime juice, as it might lead to extreme gastric problems.
2.) Vegetable Juice to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Certain vegetables, like carrots, cucumbers, beetroot and radishes are alkaline in nature and can help to solve the problem of acid reflux.
- Get alkaline vegetables like carrots, radish and beetroots.
- Peel the outer layer and slice them into thin pieces.
- Put all of them in a blender and blend them with some water.
- Strain the juice and discard the pulp.
- You can add a small amount of salt and pepper to the juice for added taste.
- Drink the juice, until you experience relief from acidity.
- If you don’t want to take the hassle of juicing the vegetables, you can eat the vegetables raw.
3.) Chamomile Tea to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Chamomile tea helps to reduce the stomach inflammation and restores the normal acidity level in the stomach.
- Boil a cup of water on medium heat.
- Turn off the heat, Once the water comes to a boil
- Dip two bags of chamomile tea and allow it to seep for a few minutes.
- Strain the solution and drink the tea.
- Repeat the process at least twice in a day to get better relief.
4.) Aloe Vera Juice to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Aloe-Vera juice is also alkaline in nature and will help to eradicate any unwanted stomach acid that might be present in your system. Before taking the aloe-vera juice, keep in mind, that since aloe- Vera is a wonderful laxative, you might be required to visit the toilet after drinking it.
- Cut some thick aloe leaves from the plant.
- Make an incision horizontally, along the midriff of the leaf.
- Peel open the outer layer.
- A transparent white gel like substance, will be visible after opening the leaf.
- Scoop out the gel, using a spoon.
- Blend the gel in a blender to get the juice.
- Drink it twice a day for faster relief.
5.) Ginger Root Tea to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Ginger root tea will help to soothe the outer walls of your stomach and prevent the acid from pushing upwards.
- Take a small slice if ginger root and grate it into thin slices.
- Add the ginger slices in a cup of water.
- Place the water and ginger mixture in a gas oven on high heat.
- Turn off the heat, Once the water comes to a boil,
- Cover the solution and allow it to seep for a few minutes.
- Strain the solution and drink it to get quick relief from acid reflux.
6.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Apple cider vinegar helps to break the fat cells and restore the normal pH balance of the body. It is considered as a wonderful remedy for heartburn.
- In a glass of water, add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Add some lemon and honey to the solution.
- Mix all the elements well and drink the solution.
- Repeat the process unless you feel comfortable.
7.) Marshmallow Roots to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Marshmallow roots are an age old remedy for treating the problems related to heartburn. Chewing the roots will produce a sticky substance known as mucilage, which will help to quote the inflamed walls of your stomach and provide relief from heartburn.
- Measure one teaspoon of marshmallow root.
- Add the powder to one cup of water
- Stir the mixture well and drink it
- Repeat the process unless you feel comfortable.
8.) Anise, Fennel seed or Caraway Seeds to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
These seeds are widely used by herbal medicine practitioners who deal alternate form of healing.
- Take 2 teaspoons of any one of these seeds.
- Add them to a glass of boiling water.
- Allow the seeds to boil for a few minutes and then turn off the heat.
- Allow the solution to cool down.
- Once the solution cools down, strain it.
- Consume the solution as many times as required.
9.) Chewing Gum to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Chewing gum helps to create saliva in the mouth. This saliva is essential for reducing the harmful effects of acid reflux. So chew on a gum and think of anything , that can make you salivate. This will help you to get rid of heartburn, even when you are in a hostile environment and don’t have any medicine handy.
10.) Milk to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
It has been widely reported that almost all over the counter medicines are high in calcium content and they rely heavily on calcium to cure acid reflux. So instead of opting for synthetic calcium tablets, try drinking a cup of milk.
Milk helps to soothe the muscles and apply a protective covering on walls of your stomach and provides relief from heartburn.
11.) Fenugreek Seeds to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Fenugreek seeds are rich in fiber, which helps to absorb the excess amount of acid in the stomach.
- Fill a glass with distilled water.
- Add some fenugreek seeds in it and leave it to soak overnight.
- In the morning strain the liquid and drink the solution.
- You will soon experience the cooling effect of fenugreek seeds in your body.
12.) Water to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
Sometimes the most effective remedy, are found in the simple things in life. Water is a wonderful liquid, which is readily available and can be used to neutralize the effects of acid influx.
Drink a lot of water. It will dilute the effects of the acid and provide you with relief.
13.) Coconut to Get Rid of Heartburn and Acid Reflux
- Coconut in any form is a blessing for people suffering from acid reflux problems.
- Just get a fresh green coconut and drink its water to feel the relief from acid reflux problem.
- If you are not able to get the fresh water use coconut oil for cooking. The benefits will be more or less similar.
- In areas, where coconut milk, is available, try drinking it instead of normal milk. It has the goodness of both regular milk and the soothing property of coconut in it.
Some Preventive Measures to Reduce the Chances of Heartburn and Acid Reflux:
- If you are a heavy smoker, give up on smoking. It is regarded as one of the main reasons behind acid reflux. Also heavy drinking is another culprit behind frequent acid reflux complains.
- Take small bites and chew your food properly. Also make sure, you don’t eat too much in one go. Try opting for more frequent meals, and small portion sizes.
- Indulge in a spoonful of honey, before hitting the bed. It will help to neutralize the stomach acids and balance the pH of the body
- Try to live a de-stressed life. Too much stress upsets the normal metabolism, leading to acid reflux problems.
- Follow a patterned life and take your meals on time. Get some good night’s sleep as it is important to maintain the balance in the body.
- Eat bananas- they are high on antacids and potassium content. Both the elements are important to ensure, that the acid and alkaline ratio is maintained in your body.
- Don’t indulge in heavy activities after a heavy meal.
- Wear loose fitting clothes and avoid spicy food.
- Try to lose weight- excess weight interferes with the healthy working of the esophagus and causes acidity related problems.
- Exercise regularly as it will help you to stay fit and maintain the overall health of your system.
- Sleep in an elevated position. Use a pillow to ensure your head stays at least 6 inches higher than the rest of your body.